XLIV. Baking Potatoes

The more I ran, the more tired I got.

Obviously.

Cold sweats.

Wet tears.

If I were a human, I would've been caught by now. But hooray for hunter instinct, allowing me to live a bit longer.

When I couldn't run anymore, I collapsed to the ground. The werewolves surround me. "Time out!" I got up and made a T-sign with my hands. "Time out. Time out. Time out."

They stood their ground.

I place a hand on the dirt and breathe rapidly. That was the most exercise I did in years.

I inhaled a deep breath, "Whoever the leader is. Let me have a chat with him. I'm sure we can work something out without you all ripping me into pieces."

The wolves spread apart, and the largest one paces forward. I watch as the werewolf shifts from wolf to human. Oh, he's naked.

A wolf walked by and dropped a pair of clothing. He grabbed it and put it on.

"Hi," I said.

He glares at me.

"You don't want to kill me. That would be a very bad idea."

His hand shifts into claws. That's crazy good control. There aren't many werewolves who can shift only part of their bodies. "Oh, and why would it be a bad idea?"

"B-Because humans and werewolves have a peace treaty?" How pathetic.

He chuckles, probably humored by my desperate desire to live. Most likely, he's thinking of killing me off and then pretending I got kidnapped. Before werewolves appeared, things like that happened all the time. People disappear all the time.

"I'm the future luna of The Nightwalker Pack!" In a desperate situation, you use all the cards you have in your hands.

The guy smirks, "You're funny." He inches closer to me with his sharp claws.

"I-I can prove it!" I place two hands in the air as a means of no harm. But I'm pretty sure he can do more harm than me.

The guy paused.

His head tilted.

He grabbed my wrist and forcefully pulled me up. "Where did you get these?"

I look at my rings, "Which one?" I actually like wearing rings, so I have multiple ones on my fingers.

"This one," he says.

"Oh, Marcelo gave that one to me."

He moves his finger over, "This one."

"I think that's an ancestral ring or something."

He released me, and it took all my energy not to fall back on the ground. "Call him."

"Who?"

"Your alpha."

"I'm not a werewolf."

"Are you stupid? I meant the alpha that's mated to you."

All this fear and exercise is mentally draining. I can barely think right now. I grabbed my phone and dialed Marcelo's number. This better not be the day he decides not to pick up.

"Hello?"

I release a deep breath of relief, "Marcelo. Baby. Can you talk to this werewolf into not killing me? I love you."

I gave the guy my phone.

He grabs it and holds it against his ear, "Marcelo? It's Alec. This girl here says she's your mate."