X. To Find My Mate

Julia's POV:

They say humans enjoy others' misery. No matter how much you try to deny it, it's slightly true. It makes your shitty sad life a bit better when you hear about someone else's lousy day; somehow, yours doesn't feel that bad.

It's a momentary relief.

A bandage slap on the wound that never seems to heal.

A hand waves in front of my face. I turn to my left to see Brenda. "What's wrong with you?"

"I love art," I said.

"This is math."

I look at the board to see math equations. Right now, we're supposed to solve as a group, but none of us even wrote the equation down. In the end, the teacher will go over it, so there's no point.

Math is not important right now.

What's important is Lana becoming an alpha's mate.

Salt on the wound would be; it's the Blood Moon Pack's alpha.

The pack Dylan is in.

Rosario is Dylan's mate.

I cannot fathom her horror when she finds out the girl she hates is the mate of the alpha of the group her mate is in. Rosario must think this is one sick nightmare. I'm surprised she even went to school.

Then again, it may be karma.

But, me?

What did I do?

Not speak up for Lana when Rosario is bullying her? Is this my punishment?

Of course, others would say I'm as terrible as Rosario by being a bystander. But, the whole damn school is bystanders. No one here gets to point fingers at me. Not unless they're a hypocrite.

But, unlike others, I found help for Lana. I tried to talk to her twice. That's putting in some effort.

Did I confront Rosario?

No.

But why should I? Why should I brew trouble my way when I barely spoke two-sentence to the girl.

I don't know Lana.

She even got me in trouble.

I'm not some saint that will brush off what others have done wrong.

Sure. She has some trust issues because of Lucio and Rosario, but does that give her the right to pour all her bitterness on others?

No. Of course not.

She's not the only one with emotions around her.

She's not the main character in some book where everyone has to sway to her desire.

This is the real world.

And it says, if you shit on others, they will shit on you too.

There are no saints.

No angels.

Nothing except nasty shades of gray.

Dang. Who hurts me?

I exhaled softly, "Hey," I whispered to Brenda. Brian and Eric are trying to balance a pencil on their noses.

"What?"

"Do you think karma will bite us for ignoring Lana? Just like it bit Rosario?"

"What? No. What the fuck? Why would karma get us just by ignoring someone?"

"She was bullied by Rosario."

Brenda tilts her head slightly, "Girl. Do you think no one tries to help her? People tried to talk to Lana. You want to know what they say?"