XXXV. Quickie

"What?"

Mrs.Rodriguez clearly had too much hot cocoa and candy cane over break.

"I would like it if you protect Rosario from Dylan for the rest of the school year."

"Rosario is Dylan's mate."

"Exactly."

"Why does she need protection from someone who is supposed to protect her?"

"I cannot-"

"Mrs.Rodriguez, I'm pretty sure from what you observed and read, you have a good understanding of my personality. I'm not exactly the type of person to help without knowing the full story." Not anymore, at least.

Mrs.Rodriguez's lips twitch for a moment. "Over break, Rosario had reported about Dylan's aggression towards her."

"Aggression?"

"According to her verbal report and bruises we had found on her body. We believe that Dylan is verbally and physically abusing her. According to him, it's for her safety."

"He thinks what he's doing is best for her, but in reality, he's hurting her."

Mrs.Rodriguez nods, "Exactly."

How funny. You think you're protecting someone, but it turns out you're the one hurting them the most.

"And as you know, the situation between humans and werewolves is already quite...fragile."

And since Rosario is the daughter of a politician, the situation only makes it worse.

"So, why me? Why not send in another hunter?"

"You think it's normal to enroll a licensed hunter in a high school?"

"What about other student hunters? I'm certain they have more qualifications than a dropout like me."

"Don't undervalue yourself," she says.

"I'm not going to overvalue myself either. Dylan is a beta. He can rip my head from my body."

"He can't."

"And how are you so sure?"

"Let's not play too much...Julia."

She knows about Marcelo and me.

I huffed a breath, "And if I decline?"

"That wouldn't be beneficial."

"Is that a threat?" I smile, "Mrs.Rodriguez, I didn't take you like that type of person."

"Desperate times call for desperate behavior."

"I want to hear my benefits first." I'm not an idiot. Considering how Mrs.Rodriguez took over the principal seat the same year werewolves decided to enroll, it must mean she isn't someone I should brush off.

Mrs.Rodriguez smiles, "Smart girl."

I returned it, "Thanks."

"Rosario will be going to school three days a week. If you choose not to go to the other two, you will still graduate." Rosario's dad probably pulled some strings where she doesn't have to see Dylan often.

"My life is in the line Mrs.Rodriguez. You can't possibly weigh it on a few absent days."

"Of course not," she says. "I understand how difficult it may be to handle multiple tasks."

"Meaning."

"Perhaps, we can put academics on hold."

Is she saying I don't have to do my homework?