XIV. Thank You

Julia's POV:

It's not every day you encounter two werewolves in a closed territory. It's even rarer for one of the werewolves to be a child.

In times like this, any average person would take the child to the hospital, but I'm not exactly normal in the brain.

I stare at the passed out child on my couch. After the bigger werewolf left, I took the child back to my house. I have a slight idea of what the sheriff's department would do once they get their hands on the child.

As of right now, the tension between humans and werewolves should be quite high.

A young shifter should go back to his pack, but politicians won't make it easy. They'll find some way to benefit themselves out of what happened. Use it as a reason to tighten werewolves' laws or their political agenda.

I want to say that I stayed awake the whole night to take care of the child, but I didn't.

With all unexpected troubles, I was exhausted.

When I woke up the following day, there wasn't anyone on the couch. I let out a slight squeal before I ran around the house. I didn't have to run far. He was in the kitchen cooking eggs.

Another unexpected development.

"Good morning." He holds his hands together and bows. "I hope you do not mind. I used your eggs to cook breakfast."

"No. It's okay."

When he didn't respond, I fiddled slightly before I sat down.

He continues to cook eggs. Once he's done, he scoops them onto the plate. When I saw the difficulty he is having, I rushed over. "Let me."

Without complaint, he hands me the pan.

While I moved the eggs, he went to scoop some rice.

He made rice.

I set the plate of eggs on the table while he set down two bowls of rice. "Is there anyone else in the house?"

I shake my head. I'm too shocked to verbalize.

"Okay." He crawls onto the chair and stares at me.

I sat down.

His gaze went to the bowl of rice, but he didn't pick it up.

I grab the utensil.

He did the same.

I think he's waiting for me to eat.

After I took the first bite, the boy chow down the meal as if it was his last.

They say a child's environment is easily seen through their words and actions. A child with a broad vocabulary means educated individuals surround him. A child that screams at their parents means the child has the upper hand in the house. A child who is too quiet or too loud is often neglected at home.

A child who is capable of taking care of themselves is also a sign of neglect.

Maybe that's why the boy shifted at an early age.

"What's your name?"

He didn't leave a single rice in the bowl.

"Kai."

"Last name?"

"Schmidt."

"Kai. Do you happen to remember what happened last night?"

"Yes, miss."

This is a lot easier than I thought. "Can you tell me?"

"I shifted."