XXXIV. Unintentionally

Kai pops his head into my bedroom. I lay down the book and move over. He smiles, closes the door, and rushes into the bed with a pillow.

Ever since Kai visited us, he's been using the guest room. Well, he used it to put the extra clothes into the room, but he doesn't exactly sleep inside. Since Brenda knows about Kai's existence, she lets him use her old clothes to prevent any problems. I'm not sure how good my parent's memories are, but I don't want to test it out.

After I help Kai take off the wig, he snuggles closer to me. "Did you enjoy fishing today?"

He nods, "It was so much fun!" He grins, "I'm about to tell you a secret."

"What is it?"

He cups his hands and inches towards my ear, "I was the one who caught all the fish."

I dramatically gasped, "No way! Dad says he caught half!"

Kai giggles, "His pants were on fire the whole dinner!"

After the laughter dies down, Kai exhales heavily.

"What's wrong?"

"Do you...Do you have to go to school?" He asks.

"Yes, I do." If I could skip, I would. "Why? What's going on?"

He hugs me, "I'm going to miss you."

"Dad is going to stay with you."

Kai smiles, "I like him."

"That's good." I patted his back until he fell asleep.

If I said I had a good night's sleep, I would be lying. There would be two reasons why. One of the reasons why I couldn't sleep would be my messed-up sleeping schedule. It happens during vacation. The second would be the locked suitcase below the bed.

Marcelo told me he'd get someone he knows to set up a court date after I go through it.

Of course, I'm going to be one of the witnesses.

It's not the fact that the whole community may hate me that scares me.

It's the thought of losing.

If we lose, Kai may go back to the hellhole without a chance to go out.

The thought of contacting Cole has crossed my mind before. After all, he is the future alpha of Blood Moon.

But, when I asked Marcelo about it. The look on his face told the whole story.

It's not going to be a good ending for Kai.

Because of the already bad reputation of werewolves, different packs have a mutual understanding not to do anything too extreme in the public eyes. They tend to try to sweep everything under the rug to avoid the human government.

We call them animals, but we're no different.

We attack whenever there is a chance.

The human population outweighs the werewolf population. The only thing keeping us from going to war with each other is the thought of going to war.

Nowadays, no one wants a physical war.

When morning came, it was time for school. I barely remember what I did, but I somehow got to school. It's incredible how the minds can go on autopilot, and you're somehow not dead.

Brenda patted my back extra hard, "Is your soul back on Earth now?"

"Debatable," I responded. I crash my forehead onto my locker then dial in the number. It won't open.