XXV. Bear the Consequences

"Could we look inside?"

"I prefer you all don't. She's sleeping."

"The house is clear." Another foreign voice. "There aren't any traces or scent of the boy." I should thank Marcelo for the scentless perfume.

"Alright. I appreciate your cooperation. And we apologize for the disturbance."

"Not a problem."

The front door closed. I exhaled dramatically before I made my way towards the window. Sneakily, I inched to the corner to see many people out in the rain. They're doing another street check. For them to do two, they must be desperate for Kai.

When the morning came, the news arrived with it. There are more protesters in front of the sheriff's station and mall.

They want Kai dead.

All because of the recent murder.

There's no concrete evidence, but they all assume Kai did it.

I press my head further into my palms.

"Good morning to you too, sunshine," dad says.

I exhale, "Dad."

Dad lowers his cup of orange juice, and mom stops cutting the waffle. They look at each other for a moment, "Yes?"

"I have a problem."

He puts the cup down, "What is it?"

"I think I'm going to go to prison."

"Pardon?"

"I'm going to prison." A horn honk. "I'm going to prison." I grabbed my backpack and made my way out of the kitchen.

"She gets weirder by the day," mom mumbles. "She gets that from you."

I can only imagine what type of face dad is making. It's not pretty.

When I got into the car, I couldn't help but look at the attic.

"What's wrong?" Brenda asks.

There is this uncomfortable sensation inside of me. A feeling that seems to eat me away by the second. Of course, I know what it is.

"Nothing."

By the time we got to school, everyone was in an uproar. The topic of Kai somehow manages to make its way back into peoples' mouths. Except this time, it was much more toxic.

"That little fucker should die. Let's do it. Let's hunt him down."

The case hasn't been thoroughly investigated, and they're blaming it on a little boy.

"Hi. Hi. Hi!" Natalie pops up. She hands us each a flier.

"What's this?" I ask.

"We're having a pre-winter formal."

Brenda and I look at each other, "What?"

"Everyone is gathering together to hunt for the werewolf," Vicki replies.

"You're kidding," I said. "That wolf is just a kid, and we're not sure whether or not he killed someone."

"Oh, we know," Vicki said. "But, it's just for fun. No one is serious about it."

The paper crumbles in my hand, and I walk away.

"What's up with her?"

"I'll see you guys later." Brenda rushed after me, "Hey. What's going on?" She whispers.

"What's going on?" I said in a low voice. "What's going on!"

No.

This is not where I break.