IX. The Nightwalkers Pack

Julia's POV:

After my embarrassment, I rushed towards the restroom. My heels somehow stumble on one another, and I continue to crash onto other party-goers. Finally, I reached my destination. I close the door, lock it, and expel the rest of the contents inside the toilet.

I made a decision that night. I wouldn't drink anymore for the rest of the year. That decision will probably last until the end of the year where the big see yah party happens.

After I flush the toilet, I rest my body against the wall. I feel like I lost ten pounds. With intense relief, I forgot about the person on the other side of the door.

A knock captures me.

"Are you okay?" Because of the loud music, scream-over-scream conversation, and my fixation for the toilet earlier, I didn't hear his words. Now that I do, it's appealing.

"Yeah!" I responded. "Give me a second. I need to wash up, and you can use it next!" I force myself off of the ground and towards the sink. When the water turns on, the warmth consumes me whole. I should take a warm shower when I get home. I don't care if it'll be midnight by that time. I don't care if I'll get sick because I didn't blow dry my hair. It will be worth it.

"Hey!" I scream.

"Yes?" His voice still sounds sweeter than ever. I'm a sucker for a deep voice.

"Did I accidentally puke on you?"

I waited for a response. "Yes, you did."

I quickly washed my hands so he could use the bathroom to wash up. I should apologize while avoiding eye contact.

Out of the blue, a word catches my attention.

"Mat-" I mumbled underneath my breath, "Mat...Mat...Mate?" Then, it dawns on me. Did he say mate earlier? I turn my head towards the white door. I could be wrong since I wasn't in the right mind earlier.

"Do you need help?"

"N-No!" I look at the window next to me. "I'm sorry for taking so long! I have to fix myself! So, give me a few more minutes, and I'll be out!" I take off my heels and quietly walk towards the window. The sink water and loud music will block my sounds. I broke the blinds and jumped through the window.

I may have misheard things earlier, and my actions indicate that I'm losing my mind, but I'm not taking any chances. Once I was outside, I ran towards the other side of the house to get Eric. He's still on the chair. I yanked Eric off the chair, hung him over my shoulder, and ran towards the car. I've never been more grateful to become a hunter.

My eyes flicker in the environment to ensure no one is following me.

When I spotted the other werewolves from our school, my heart raced even faster. Jenny smiles at me. I force a smile in return while my speed slows down. I don't want to look too suspicious. When you're filled with anxiety, for some unknown reason, others tend to stop you and ask you: "What's wrong?"

After we pass by them, and their attentions bounce back to the massive crowd, I speed up. I open the back door, throw Eric inside, and rush to the driver's side.

"Ow. It hurts," Eric grumbles in the back seat before curling himself into a ball.

I notice a large group of guys walking out to the front. It's not difficult to spot werewolves. Most of the time, they're larger than average guys and better looking—stupid genetic favor. I turn on the car engine and reverse. I didn't bother turning on the lights because I thought it might catch too much attention. Once I'm out of the main street with the party, I release a deep breath.