XXVI. You're Here

It was a long story with minimal interruptions.

Thank goodness.

I started by helping everyone sit down on the cramped futon. They covered themselves with a small blanket and pillows. Eric had to comfort himself with Kai's leftover bag of chips.

After everyone is comfortable and slightly over the initial shock, the real story begins.

First, I met Kai when he was in his wolf form. I told them I accidentally hit him with my car.

They gave the natural reaction - shock and disbelief.

Then, I told them about Marcelo. I had to take a moment to debate whether or not I should tell them I'm mated to him.

I decided to opt out of that route.

I'll tell them about that when it pops up. They'll be slightly upset, but I can always use the excuse that it was a stressful time.

After the rescue, I explain to them that Marcelo helps me by fixing the car.

They were overly suspicious.

It makes sense.

Why would Marcelo help me without a single reason?

Their eyes went back and forth - they were silently exchanging sentences. But, no one dares to interrupt me. Because with the constant questions, I may shut down.

While I continued to tell the story, I realized my mess up.

I should have never mentioned Marcelo.

Piece the timeline together, and a clear answer will appear. Marcelo rescued me before we introduced ourselves to each other publicly.

Marcelo rescued me.

Marcelo fixes the car.

Marcelo pretends not to know me.

They know I don't like to be in the spotlight.

They know Marcelo has a mate in town.

Anyone with half a brain can piece all the information together.

I decided to throw away those thoughts. It's not the time to discuss about Marcelo.

I told them about the real story.

Not the ones the media wants us to believe.

Kai is innocent.

His relatives are the evil ones.

After my whole story, everything fell quiet.

Kai was curled up in a ball on my lap.

Kai is six-years-old, but since he was neglected, his body isn't as big as a six-years-old should be. Anyone who sees him would think he's three or four.

A tear rolled down Brenda's cheek. Eric looks away and clears his throat. Secretly, he's wiping away his tears. Brian didn't hide his tears. He grabbed a tissue and blew on it.

"Don't worry," Brenda says. "No one is going to do anything to you. Not with us around." She extends a hand and waits until Kai is comfortable enough to reach for it. Kai smiles and holds her hand.

"Damn. You know what you need up here?" Eric says. "You need video games. Tons. I'll bring you my games."

"Me too. I'll give you my bean bags. Since you like comics, I can get you more comics. I don't have money, but I can steal some for you," Brian says.

"Guys." Brenda exhales softly, "Do you not hear the problem? Having Kai hide up here is not the solution."

Eric and Brian look at each other. "I think it's pretty cool up here," Brian stated.