LVII. Total Victory

I know I can't bribe the judge to be on my side like the others.

But, I can scratch the emotions of the public. The people don't want logic; they want whatever their emotions tell them.

And right now, on national television, a young suburban do-nothing-wrong girl just spilled her sad life story to them.

Purposely reminding them of the flaw of the justice system.

How they didn't win.

The government did.

The government will always win.

I had thought about it day and night. What to do. Winning against Blood Moon is the easy part. Going against the government is the hard portion.

I know bringing out my life story is a pathetic card to play, but I'm willing to risk it all so as not to lose to them again.

Not to see those snarky grins.

Not from the people on the other side of the table or the bribed judges in front of us.

Everything was planned.

But, not what happens next.

Kai rushed forward and went on his knees. "Please. Please. Please! Don't take me away. I don't want to leave Julia and mom and dad and Eric and Brenda and Brian. Please! Please! Don't take my happiness away again!"

Kai tries to control his cries, but the tears burst out of his face.

"Kai will be a good boy! Kai will be a very good boy!" Kai curls his body inward on the ground. "I promise! I'll be a good boy!" His whole tiny body trembles.

I went on my knees beside him and touched his back lightly.

He looks up, "J-J-Julia. I don't want to go. I want to stay with you." Immediately, he hugs me firmly and lets out a loud cry.

After Kai calmed down, we went back to my seat. Kai sat on top of me with his face buried on my chest. There were uncontrollable tears and snots.

The whole room was in an awkward state.

Someone walks in and whispers to the judge's ears.

They spread the message one way or another through the rows.

"Due to unforeseen circumstances, we will have to re-evaluate the situation. We will now have a thirty minutes recess." The judge pounds his gavel.

Everyone moves out of their room and towards the break room.

I stop in the hallway, "Dad. Take Kai. I'll meet you all in the break room."

Dad stares at me.

Everyone stares at me.

I smile lightly, "Trust me. Please."

Dad grabs Kai, but he wouldn't let go of me.

"Kai," I said softly. "I'll be in there. Okay?"

Kai's mouth was in a full-fledged frown, but he nodded anyway.

Once they were inside the break room, I made my way towards the other room. I open the door to see Mr.Rowland facing the large window. When I got closer, I saw what's outside. It was chaos.

"I didn't expect you to do that." Mr.Rowland takes out a cigar and lit it up.

I smile, "Good. It was supposed to be unexpected."

"You're awfully calm after telling your story to the world."

Calm?

Honestly, I didn't expect to feel this way.