LII. Two Predators

There is no consistency in our behaviors.

One moment you're on one side, and the next, you're on another. In the end, you're on the side that benefits you the most. Whether tangible or not.

Some may argue that being on the side that's "good" isn't necessarily benefiting yourself. You think about what's best for humanity.

That's it.

You're thinking...your version of what's best for humanity.

It's all inside your head, and the thought of making it a reality is already benefiting enough for yourself.

But, there's no saying that your version of what's "good" for humanity is best.

The winning side is what's best for humanity. At least according to their version of the story.

In summary, Marcelo's version is what's "good"...and if it wins... it's the best.

He never stood on any side...except his own.

And that's okay.

This ability to think, to act according to our own will...to not allow consistency.

That's what makes us individuals.

That's what makes us dangerous.

And that's precisely the reason why humans and werewolves are always on bad terms.

There's no reason why there should be two predators in one territory.

"I may not be on your side." There's no point in hiding the truth when it's already exposed. Sugary words will only worsen the already strained relationship between us. "But, it doesn't mean I won't help you."

"And when the situation is out of your comfort zone? Out of your plan?" I question. "Will you help? Or will you back away like you've already done?"

I had to do it - call him out on his words - the inconsistency.

Because if I don't, we'll be back to square one.

I don't expect him to support me completely, but I also don't expect him to give false promises.

He smiles, but I could see the pain behind it. "You don't have to call me out like that."

"Don't worry. I call everyone out." I know I shouldn't be behaving this way towards Marcelo. After all, even if he isn't on my side, he still did provide support. Although, I can see it. The more support he gives, the higher the dependency.

Marcelo chuckles, "Jules, you really are something." He licks his lips, "I have reasons why."

"I know," I responded. "But, there's no reason for you to have to justify yourself to me. My thoughts won't change because of your reasons."

"Why?"

"Because you've already made your decision," I said. I backed away, "See you around, Marcelo." It's harsh of me, I know. But I can't keep depending on him...be supported by him...knowing he may turn his back on me when the situation is no longer favorable.

The courtroom was still as intense as when we first left it. And, in conclusion, the rest of the day went nowhere.

But, on a positive note, the judge allows Kai to stay with us.

It's kind of hard to say no to a kid who's crying and promising everyone he will be a good boy.

People see Kai as a werewolf because they never actually saw him. When they do, they can see that his species type comes second. He, himself, comes first.