Shocked

"Excuse me?" Keith frowned confused.

Lance turned to him not believing them, he raised a brow, there was no way Keith was like them, he was to human..

"You're a mutant? You're on the list," Allura showed him and everyone looked to see Keith Kogane on the list.

"I'm not a fucking mutant," Keith scoffed.

"Why is Keith on the list? He's human," lance looked at Kolivan not understanding.

"Keith your blood test the other day, we made sure you passed but it was false, you failed it," Kolivan told him surprised the boy didn't know.

"I'm not a mutant!" Keith snapped at them.

Lance took his hand and grabbed his knife from his boot, cutting the tip of his finger in one motion. Keith gasped at the pain pulling his hand back. He didn't want to see it, was his blood not red? He slowly looked down at his cut and saw red blood... but there was a tint of purple mixed in.

"What?" He breathed. It was mostly red but not fully.

"You didn't know?" Lance asked softly.

"No, no I've bled before, I've never seen it like this, what the fuck do you mean I'm a mutant?" Keith hissed but there was fear in his eyes.

"You're a hybrid too," lance said quietly. Keiths hand shook as he stared at his blood in horror.

"It's a mistake I've been human my whole life! My dads human!" Keith snapped at everyone but he felt hysterical. He couldn't breathe.

"Your mom?" Allura offered.

"She's human!" He snarled.

"We're going to get some air," lance told Kolivan gently as he walked out of the classroom with Keith. He had to pull the shorter boy a little to get him to leave, all eyes were on them before they closed the door.

Keith didn't understand. How was he a mutant? He's bled red, he's scrapped a knee and cut himself before but he's never seen it... but he's never been taken to the hospital, he wasn't born in a hospital, he remember how protective his dad was when Keith got hurt. Didn't let him do everything like sports with other kids. But his dad was human, he was sure..

"You really didn't know?" Lance asked concerned.

"Shiros going to hate me," Keith whispered leaning against the wall, the other mutant stood in front of him with pity.

"Whats going to happen to me? You've been so afraid of the government..." Keith covered his mouth a little as he slid down the wall wide eyes.

"I'm not letting them touch you," lance knelt down to him so they'd be leveled. "Have I let anyone hurt you before?"

"There was a knife thrown at me?" Keith gulped and lance paused but smiled.

"Do you think your grandparents or any relatives could be mutants or part?" Lance sighed softly sitting with him on the ground.

"I don't know, never met them," Keith whispered.

"im so confused, do you think my brother knew?" He covered his face with his head down and knees to his chest.

"I don't know, are You going to tell him?" Lance  pursed his lips. He didn't know how to make Keith feel better, being a human and a mutant is hard, being both is harder.

"No i cant, I can't tell him I can't see his face when he knows what I am when I don't even know what I am, I can't-" Keith choked up. An arm was wrapped around his shoulders and he was pulled to lance tightly.

"Youre not going to be alone, you aren't alone Keith," lance whispered to him.

Keith leaned against lance with his eyes closed as they sat in the empty hall together. Lance rested his cheek on Keith's hair as he didn't know what to say but he was going to be there for him.

"How can I be a mutant? I don't look like one," Keith whispered still in disbelief.

"Maybe it's your pretty purple eyes? Probably why I like them so much," lance offered playing with Keith's hair a little.

"It's probably the mullet if anything," he teased but Keith elbows him a little.

"Leave my hair alone you jerk," Keith snorted.

They chuckled but quieted down again.

"I'm scared lance, I don't like being both," he sighed curling against lance more.

"It is scary, my dad worked so hard to make sure no one found out about me and Allura but it's something I've been doing my whole life.. knowing now would mess with my head pretty bad," lance squeezed him reassuringly.

"I feel like I've been lied too," Keith nodded.

"I'm sorry, it's not exactly good news, but you'll be okay, no one's going to hurt you," lance looked at him softly.

Keith blushed but he believed him. He liked this lance more, he liked how he was confident and wasn't afraid to speak his mind like he use to be at school. To stand straight and keep his head up high. The lance before was kind but could never defend himself. This felt more real. Lance was himself, he embraced his genetics and his life as if it was all okay and normal.

"We should go back in, Kolivan has our back, he's kept a lot of people safe," lance sighed standing up from the ground.

"Everyone's going to have questions," Keith didn't move.

"They know your in shock, we'll figure it out," lance offered his hand.

"Might want to do a DNA test sometime too," he smiled as he pulled Keith up.

Only to receive a hard punch to the arm.

"It's not funny!" Keith huffed.

"It's called being optimistic!" Lance cried out.