flashbacks and head injuries

Roy's POV 16yrs old.

I woke up to the obnoxious beeping of Jason's alarm. I grunted, feeling him move from beside me to turn it off before pulling me closer to him and snuggling back under the covers.

I hummed out, stretching slightly, then tucked my head into his neck, breathing in deeply. "You gotta get up, Jay." He groaned lowly in response, his grip on me tightening slightly. "Just n'few more minutes, m'kay?"

Smirking into his skin, I chuckled. "This is why you're the bad influence. A few more minutes is gonna turn into an hour. Then we'll both be in for it." I turned, stretching out again, before sitting up and rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

Jason didn't stop me, but he didn't move either. Rolling my eyes, I chuckled again, then got up and headed to the bathroom just as his father walked in, glad to be out of bed when he did.

I just set to brushing my teeth and fixing the horrid cow lick on top of my head.

I wasn't embarrassed to be seen with Jason by his father. He was my brother in every way but blood. We had been best friends since we were really little and shared just about everything. Sometimes, that included a bed.

Jason hated sleeping alone. Especially after his mom passed away. I knew he just needed comfort, and I would always be here to give it.

What I didn't want was my ass in trouble for not being up on time. Jason's dad could get pretty strict sometimes, and we've both regretted it multiple times after ignoring his alarm.

To be honest, I'd like to be able to sit down on my ass today.

Jason and I had too much work to do for me to be standing awkwardly again beside my chair because my backside is bruised. Even though that hasn't happened in years... I was not one to chance things.

While I got ready, I could hear them talking. Mostly Jason's father, while Jason just sighed and hummed in response. Last night had been rough on him after going with his father to a business meeting.

Which I knew was less business and more mafia related, seeing how disheveled Jason had been when he asked me to stay with him. It took me an hour to get him to stop shaking before he fell asleep.

I didn't think I wanted to know what had happened. Whatever it was had just been his father preparing him for the day he'd take over the family business.

We had both just turned 16, so he had a few more years, but it had seemed very important to his father that we both learn the ends and outs of all this.

I, for one, hated it. I couldn't stand blood. Even my own. Grossed me out, but there was a reason I'd be Jason's second. I was one hell of a marksman.

Even at this age, I was at the same level as some of the men who had been in this business decades before I was even born. I was always being told I was a natural, and one day, I'd need to use my skills to protect Jason and watch out for him.

It would be my job to watch his back and keep people from hurting him. This was something I already did. I'd protect him no matter what. I loved him. He's my best friend. My brother.

__________________________________

Jason's POV

Cold air hit my torse, causing me to shiver. Groaning slightly, I rolled over, stretching my arm out to find Tim and pull him closer. Instead of finding his warm body beside me, my hand felt an empty space. It was cold.