Her funeral / Shocking discoveries

Jason's POV 11yrs old

It was raining. Of course.

The estate was full of people. Familiar faces and faces I'd never seen before smiled sadly at me, either patting my back or giving me hugs. Telling me everything would be okay and I was so brave.

I didn't know what to say. I definitely didn't want to be here.

My heart ached, making me feel sick and exhausted. The last week had been the hardest of my life. I'd never felt so broken. So alone. I'd never missed someone so much. Why did she have to go? Why now? Leaving me without a mom. I missed her so badly.

She always knew just how to make everything better. She always knew just what to say. To me and Roy. Her boys. But now...she was gone.

I'd never be able to cuddle with her again. Have her arms wrapped around me and Roy as she read. Never hear her voice again, telling me how much she loved me.

I was standing still now, near the large portrait of her, my father and I above the fireplace in the main room. I couldn't help the tears that burned at my eyes and ran down my cheeks.

They were silent at first, till a soft sob finally escaped my mouth. I looked away, squeezing my eyes shut tightly and clenching my fists at my sides."Mi manchi mamma." My voice came out raspy and broken. It sounded like how I felt.

Broken. Lost. Lonely.

A hand was on my shoulder and I turned, looking up at Cory. He was four years older than me, but he and I were fairly close. His father worked for mine for as long as I could remember.

"I'm so sorry, Jason. She was the kindest person I've ever had the pleasure of knowing...if you need anything-" I let out another sob and turned, crashing into him and grabbing his suit jacket tightly as I cried.

He seemed shocked and stiff at first before wrapping his arms around me. "Oh, Jason." I just cried, letting all the tears I'd been holding back finally fall. This was too much too soon.

She didn't deserve this. She should still be alive. Why'd she have to leave me?

My chest and lungs hurt as my body shook, bearly standing steady as Cory rubbed my back. He didn't say anything, but I knew the comfort was there.

Father's voice caught my attention as he kneeled down beside me. "Jason, son, look at me." I turned, crying loudly now as I looked at him. His face was stern, but I could see the pain in his eyes.

He sighed out before pulling me onto his arms, picking me up as he thanked Cory then excused himself from the room.

I was shaking, clinging to him like I was afraid he'd leave me too. That I'd lose both my parents. He couldn't leave. He had to stay. "D-dont go."

My words were muffled into his shoulder and he shushed me gently. "Hush now, Jason." I felt him kiss the top of my head as we walked into his office.

A familiar warmth filled me. I'd spent so many days just tucked away in here with mother. When she wasn't helping father, she was holding me. Cuddling me. Loving me in every good way a mother should.

If I had known my time with her would be so short, I would have appreciated it so much more. Spending every second I could with her.

"Jason, wipe your tears, son." He set me down, kneeling down again and holding my shoulders gently. I nodded and wiped them away, trying my best not to let anymore fall.