Wise words and goodbyes

Bruce's POV

The driver took our bags, placing them in the car. I had to admit, staying at Jason's estate went a lot better than I originally anticipated. Getting to see his relationship with Tim first-hand really put my mind at ease.

They were so happy. For the first time since I adopted Tim I felt assured that he'd be okay.

Finally.

The last day of the trip had been pretty slow. I found out Tim was having some issues with what happened, but he seemed to have confided in Jason.

I would have suggested therapy, but that didn't go over too well when he was a kid and if talking to Jason helped, then I was fine with that.

A part of me wished I was the one he came to...but as long as he continued to get better and heal physically and mentally, I was content.

I have no doubt though, Jason will do whatever it takes to help Tim. That's something we definitely had in common. We had discussed his future in private earlier this morning, concerning his health and moving needs.

Jason had a sound plan and I was excited for their visit so Selena could meet him. I knew she'd love him and appreciate how much he truly cared for Tim.

It still took me by surprise that just a few days ago, Tim was locked tight in a shell. He was outgoing if he needed to be and loved each of us in his own way, but mostly kept to himself. Staying quiet and out of the way.

Now though, he was this bright soul. So happy and free. No longer weighed down by his own walls that he put up. Whatever Jason had done to him, it saved him from himself.

One spontaneous moment had changed his whole life.

When I looked over, he was laughing at something Jason said while Dick rolled his eyes, although he was grinning too. Damian was close to Tim, leaning slightly into his side.

Seeing their relationship grow was something I thought I'd never see. They were close before, but nothing compared to this. They were really brothers now. I felt confident in letting Damian stay. They both needed it.

It would only be a few more weeks till Tim was okay to travel anyway and he'd be coming home. Even though I knew it would just be to visit.

As his father, I felt a pang in my chest with that thought, but also pride that he had found a new home with Jason. A place that he could call his own.

As we got in the car, I looked at Damian. I wanted to use the opportunity to talk to him. Tim and Jason followed in Jason's car along with Dick, so it was just Damain and I with the cab driver.

I had taken the rental car back earlier this morning, which I was definitely glad of now because I wanted to focus on this conversation, not worrying about driving and looking at directions.

"Damian, son, how are you?" He looked over at me, his features calm and collected. They always were. Now though, he had a hint of excitement in them. A glimmer of something in his eyes I didn't see very often.

He chuckled softly, shaking his head in amusement before smiling at me assuredly. "You know, if you had asked me that 3 days ago, I would have had a very different answer."

"Oh. Well, what is your answer now?" I smiled, matching his amused look with my own. "Well, honestly, I'm doing great. I've never been happier. Tims happy and I feel closer to him than ever before. He's not just my big adopted brother in my head anymore." He turned, watching out the window.

My smile widened. "What would you call him now then?" I didn't expect an answer immediately, but Damian knew exactly what he was gonna say.

"My big brother and my friend...
maybe that's kinda mushy, but...it's true." He sighed happily, relaxing back into his seat.

Just from watching them interact with each other the past few days, I knew exactly what he meant. It took a while for Tim to warm up to Damian and even then, Damian was just naturally a more private person. Now though, I saw them as the brother I always hoped they'd be. I was so proud of them both.

"I'm so proud of you Damian. For everything you've accomplished. For the young man you've become." I reached over, placing my hand on his shoulder. The look he gave me had me feeling pleased as he smiled more.

"Thank you. That really means a lot. I know I've been hard headed and...bratty in the past and I'll still be that way sometimes." We both laughed softly. "But I'm trying to be the man you want me to be."

My heart melted and I pulled him into a hug. "Damian I want you to be the man you want to be. I've only ever wanted you boys to be happy. I know you staying here with Tim and Jason is gonna do that. Just know I'll always be a phone call away and you can go back and forth as much as you want. I love you son."

He hugged back tightly. "I love you too, father. Thank you. I promise i'll call and text and all that. When Tim and Jason fly back I'll be with them." I nodded, pulling away and sighing happily as the car stopped.

Before I got out, I kissed his head, sighing softly as I remembered doing this when he was little. I hadn't done it in a while, but I felt like it was needed now. "I just needed to do that, but thought I'd do it here where it wouldn't be embarrassing."

I grinned and Damian rolled his eyes, but chuckled. "I appreciate that father." He hugged me once more before we were both getting out, meeting Tim and Jason by the door.

Dick walked over, taking his turn to hug Damian. Being the best, annoying big brother he could be while I made my way to Tim.

He was a little teary eyed and I took a deep breath, putting my hands on my hips as I smiled.

"Tim, I'm so proud of you. In just a couple days you've shown me you're ready to take on the world. I know I've always been a little overprotective of you, but I will always support you. Especially if it means I get to see you so happy." I placed my hand on his shoulder, a little unsure if that was okay, but I did it anyway.

To my shock, he just pushed himself into my arms, hugging me tightly and sucking in a breath. "You're the best father I could have ever been given. I know everything you've done has been to help me grow up to be the best version of myself." He choked back a sob. "I am so, so happy."

Smiling widely, I wrapped my arms around him, pulling him closer. I was gonna hug him as long as he'd let me. Which was about 30 seconds before he pulled away.

When he did, I gently wiped away his tears. "I love you so much son. I always will. Call me anytime okay and I'll see you in a few weeks."

He nodded and smiled widely. "I love you too and I will. I promise. Tell everyone I miss them and can't wait for them to meet Jason." He laughed and I nodded before looking at Jason.

He had been talking to Dick, but turned, smiling lovingly at Tim then looked at me. He took a deep breath then stretched out his hand to shake mine.

My smile faltered and I gave him a stern look, making him raise an eyebrow slightly and shift nervously on his feet. "No boyfriend of my sons is gonna get away with just a handshake."

He made a confused face, looking at Tim momentarily as if to ask for help. My laugh caught him by surprise before I grabbed his shoulders, pulling him into a tight hug.

"Jason, you're family now. Take care of my son. He deserves the world." He was still for a moment before hugging back. "Of course sir. He deserves everything good. I know I won't be able to give him anything close to that, but I'll sure as hell die trying if I have to."

When I pulled away, Dick was saying bye to Tim. I didn't know if he had heard everything we said, but I knew Jason was telling the truth. He'd already risked his life once for Tim, I had no doubt he'd do anything to protect him.

I knew the life of anyone in the Mafia got messy at times, but somehow I still felt that leaving Tim with Jason was not something I'd regret.

Finally, with the goodbyes over, we walked inside. The last thing I saw before turning the corner with Dick, was Jason hugging Tim from behind, kissing his head. He was relaxed and smiling while Damian grinned, wavering at me.

They'd be just fine. I know that now. Jason was a savior in a sense to both boys. I had meant it when I said I'd support their decisions to stay. They were happy. That was all that mattered to me.