The phone call / Airport arrival

Jason POV

My office wasn't far from the kitchen, so I heard Antonio and Damian walking out and towards the back doors. The idea that this would blow up in my face was slowly getting smaller.

Damian was mad, that was obvious, but I needed to know he'd be okay. I failed once at protecting Tim, I couldn't fail Damian too. Not when he was so important in my life now.

It was late afternoon now and Tim was still asleep. He needed it. After finding out how much he'd been stressing himself out, over if I'd still love him after everything no less, I was determined to make him feel better any way I can. Make him feel safe any way I can.

I was telling Bruce the truth when I said I'd give my life if it meant Tim could truly be happy.

A smile found its way on my face as I watched him sleep. He looked so small. So peaceful. So perfect.

My eyebrows furrowed when i saw him shiver. I kept it pretty cool in my office and I mentally scalded myself for not having remembered that.

As I walked to him, I grabbed a second blanket and spread it over him. He was much warmer blooded than I was, so I knew he'd appreciate it. If I wasn't cuddling him, then two blankets would have to do.

Roy walked in as I kissed Tim's head. He stood just inside the door till I looked up and nodded at him. "He's sound asleep. We can talk."

He nodded back before walking over to my desk, meeting me halfway as I walked to my chair. When I sat down, I took a deep breath, looking over at Tim one more time before giving Roy my full attention.

"I just talked to Antonio and Damian. I know neither of them are happy about the arrangement." I rubbed my face and leaned back. "Damian especially, but I want to make sure he's safe. I can't fail at protecting him too."

My face scrunched up as I sighed heavily, using one hand to rub at my temple. I had to make sure he was safe.

Roy put his hand on my shoulder. "Jason, you never failed anyone. No one thinks that. Especially not Tim." He paused, rubbing my muscle slightly.

"You're tense. What's this really about Jay?" He moved, leaning back against my desk and crossing his arms as he watched me. Concerned and determined to find out the truth.

I held his gaze for a moment before shaking my head and looking away. "I'm worried...that Jack's men will want revenge. That they'll try something again. Something that'll hurt Tim or Damian to get to me."

Groaning in frustration, I leaned forward, placing my head in my hands. "They don't deserve this Roy. I can't let this happen again."

It was silent for a moment before Roy took in a deep breath. "Jason, you didn't let anything happen in the first place. What happened that night was not your fault." He moved his hand to my shoulder again, squeezing reassuringly.

Deep down, I knew he was right. There wasn't anything I could have done to stop Jack any sooner, but I still felt responsible in so many ways for Tim getting hurt.

"As far as Jack's men." Roy sighed before crossing his arms again. "I have the same fear. Maybe we're being paranoid, but maybe not...he had an army at his disposal. Who's to say just because there's a new leader, that they'll all stop believing in whatever twisted game Jack was playing." His face twisted in disgust as he huffed.

That was a good point. We needed to do something to prevent something worse from happening. "Roy, can you set up a meeting with Jack's second? The one that shot him? I have a feeling if we talk to him, voice our concerns, we can stop any plans before they take place."