SEVENTY-FOUR

"How was your trip, sweetheart?"

Niven tiredly picked at his food. "Fine."

Across the dinner table, Simeon and Levi gave each other looks.

Since Niven arrived from his trip last night, their brother seemed to be in a mood. He wasn't snappy or anything of the sort, but he was more quiet than usual and hardly spoke to anyone. Gabriel also didn't know what has happened and thought something bad might've occurred during his visit to the tribe, yet Niven quickly shot that down and said everything was fine.

They thought things would be better in the morning so the twins left Niven alone. Unfortunately, the boy was still bitter and didn't really talk to any of them.

"Did something happen?" Simeon asked again. "You're in an awful mood."

"Sorry." He still didn't give out what the problem was and mindlessly continued to eat.

Levi would've also pestered the male if he didn't look at the end of the table, looking straight at an unknown bunny sitting on top of a pillow. The animal had a large plate of vegetables and pellets in front of her, munching on them quietly as King sat in the chair next to it. The penguin was also enjoying his plate full of raw fish.

"Where... where did you get that?" Levi suddenly questioned.

Niven gave a sideways glance to the bunny. "It was a gift from Grim. A while ago, the pack had a large hunt as celebration and whatever they killed was offered to me since I was the guest of honor."

"I'm guessing you didn't accept any of them?" Simeon said.

"No. Grim's offering was the only one alive and he thought she might be good as a pet."

"It's pretty cute," his brother replied. "You should take her to the grand duchess later. It's been months since you last seen her and I think your pet will be better off living here during your stay at the academy. Grand Duchess Adrienne will like the company."

Finally, his little brother showed a small smile. "I think she'll like it as well. By the way, how's Mother doing?"

"The same as usual. I've been going on walks with her around the gardens nearly every morning."

Niven looked over at Levi next. "And you?"

Levi didn't answer back. He only sent a subtle nod before continuing to eat.

"And... have you been doing well?"

Simeon stabbed his food a little harshly, but he kept a perfect smile on his face. His brother would always ask them if they were okay inside this place because of the servants. Niven always had a keen eyes to those who were serving the twins, making sure they wouldn't try to disrespect them.

Of course, since Niven had been gone for his trip at the tribe, the servants placed at Levi and Simeon's sides weren't supposed to be all that great due to the fact the twins were still considered an eyesore to the Kingstons and had to be incredibly wary of them, but that wasn't the case at all.

They were treated just like Niven. The people serving them were competent and took care of the twins to their utmost abilities. After all, Niven made sure to explicitly inform Grand Duchess Adrienne to keep a careful eye on everyone before he left.

"I'm living the dream," Simeon dryly stated.

Niven sighed, "That's good. I was worried I might have to replace the servants again."

"You don't have to do that. Levi and I don't really mind."

"I mind. The two of you may have the blood of Lanphere rubbing through your veins, but you're family to me. I don't like it when anyone treats you anything lesser."