FORTY-ONE

Bursting through Vasili's peculiar classroom wasn't how Niven expected his day would go.

The student was fuming silently as his professor followed him with a faint smile, soft humming echoing through the long hallways. Vasili thought he might try to cheer up the student by telling a few jokes here and there, but Niven didn't seem all that excited and so the professor begrudgingly sighed and trailed after the boy.

When Niven finally came inside the classroom, he was met with the sight of Simeon talking to Levi. In his elder brother's hand was a leash he loosely gripped, but it was connected to a dog collar Grim was wearing. The sheep beastman didn't have his usual black mask on, so his scars and stitches were on display as he wore a solemn expression.

The Kingston Brothers were nonchalant about the whole thing until Niven stormed over, not even saying a word before snatching the leash out of Levi's hands.

"What do you two think you're doing?" Niven angrily lashed out. He pointed at Grim, startling the beastman. "You think he's some sort of pet? What kind of people would force others to wear a collar?"

His brothers still didn't seem all that surprised. Sure, they didn't expect to see Niven here, but Levi maintained his stoic gaze whereas Simeon sighed a little tiredly. His second brother gave the blond a grin, hardly noticing Grim flinching in the back.

"I already said he was our pet back to when we were participating in Ludos," Simeon responded. "How come you care all about Tin's wellbeing?"

"His name is Grim, not Tin! And I thought you were just joking!" Niven exclaimed. "What makes you think this is okay? He may be a beastman but that doesn't mean he's a literal animal!"

"I thought that's why they added the word beast to beastman." Simeon looked like he was actually contemplating that idea, ignoring the way his little brother was fuming. But the dark haired male merely shrugged and looked down at Niven with his purple eyes rather gently. "Dear brother, if you're upset about not being able to take Finn on his daily walks, you can go with Levi in the next hour."

"Are you serious?" Niven looked petrified that his brother acted like this was normal.

Simeon blinked, finding his sibling's questioning gaze a little cute. "What are you talking about? Of course I'm serious. I once read in a book it's very important to take your pets for daily walks and to have them exercise. We'll let you feed Jim as well! Would that make you feel better?"

The sheep beastman finally looked up, his timid eyes hardening a little. "My name... is Grim-"

"Quiet," Simeon snapped. "We've been training you to be obedient thus far, yet you're ruining it already. Do you not want to be fed tonight? This is why Arien handed you over to us."

Niven was ready to shout even more when he stopped at the name of his alpha. He recoiled a little, his grip tightening on the leash before looking back at Grim. The beastman backed away as well, finding it extremely hard to look at Niven. Some of his bangs fell, covering his eyes, hoping the blond wouldn't notice him slightly shaking.

"My... my alpha?" Niven turned back to Simeon. "What do you mean Arien gave him to you? My alpha hasn't spoken to Grim before."

Simeon faltered for a second, finding it somewhat difficult to explain. He glanced over at his elder brother, watching with disappointment as Levi avoided his gaze, expecting Simeon to deal with it himself.

With a scoff, Simeon replied, "Your beloved alpha who you so admire has met Grim before. We've told you already about him having a bit of violent tendencies, so Arien dropped him off to us with the hopes of making Grim more... compliant. Unfortunately, Headmaster Kingston thought he'd be a good addition to the team and made him stay with us despite being a pain in the ass."