TWENTY-TWO

By the time Arien calmed down, lunchtime rolled around.

Well, the alpha wasn't exactly in the right state of mind since he kept growling under his breath, aggressively tapping his fingers on the surface of his desk as a way to distract himself even though the windows were open.

Niven was hesitant to step forward, but slightly came closer every few minutes to see where Arien would draw his bottom line. There were a few gentle brushes of his fingers here and there, touching Arien's tail to move it over slightly or smoothing out some fallen strand of dark purple hair which fell over Arien's eyes since the beastman kept running his hand through his locks.

But Arien seemed to relax a bit when Niven nervously patted his head, or toying around with the tip of his tail. He still bared his canines at the slightest sense of someone trying to touch him, but knowing it was just Niven didn't feel so bad. They got their work done just fast enough before lunch.

And now, Niven ate silently inside the office, not wanting to slurp his apple juice too loudly since Arien leaned back against his chair and closed his eyes for a moment, his tie a little bit undone and jacket completely discarded on the back of his seat. Even though he was halfway done with his work, Arien was restless and couldn't concentrate on his nap. He could still hear the omega snacking, though he knew Niven was being careful not to eat too loudly.

The blond then stood up and silently placed a small sandwich prepared from King on Arien's desk.

The alpha's eyes shot wide open, his pupils dilated. Niven quickly pulled his hand back. "Since... everything's done, I'll be heading off to my classes now. Y-You didn't really eat anything so you can have my sandwich. I-It's turkey, but if you don't like it then you can just throw it away. I don't really know what beastman like to eat..."

Arien was quiet, eyes slowly moving down to the neatly packed sandwich. He muttered, "It's fine, puppy. You... are full?"

"Y-Yeah? I don't eat a lot during lunchtime since I've been eating large breakfasts." Niven fiddled with his fingers, a bit nervous to have Arien's eyes trained directly on him.

Arien couldn't find the right words to say. He wanted to decline at first, afraid that he was ruining the omega's lunch by taking away some of his food. With how small Niven was, he felt somewhat guilty and wanted the boy to eat more. But he didn't have the heart to reject the food knowing Niven meant well, and it wasn't like he had breakfast in the mornings so he needed to eat something. It was partially the reason as to why he's so snappy during these times.

"Are you sure?" Arien's low voice became a bit meek. "It's yours..."

Niven nodded. "It's fine! As I said, I don't eat a lot for lunch anyways!"

It didn't make Arien feel any better hearing that response since he felt the need to shove the sandwich back in Niven's hands, but he quietly thanked the blond and took it, slightly sniffing the sandwich. His tail flicked in the air after that.

Niven gave the male a small smile before taking his bag. "Okay, I'm heading to my classes now. I-If you need me, you can always text me. I don't mind..."

"Wait." Arien rose from his chair and beckoned the male to come close.

Niven took a few steps closer to the desk, leaning forward a little. "Yes, Alpha?"

"Look up for a moment."

"Um... o-okay?" He craned his neck up a little to the ceiling.

Niven was uncertain as to what Arien was doing, though he didn't expect for the alpha to suddenly lean close to stuff his nose right at the base of Niven's throat. Niven accidentally moved away a little, surprised by the male, but Arien was quick and placed a hand right behind the blond's neck and applied some pressure to keep him close. Arien sniffed him for a few seconds before gently trailing his nose up to the Adam's apple, a small snarl erupting.