Chapter 26: Rifts & Strains

#881

" Well, then Ahana, if you think that is the best course of action then go for it. Don't come for validation to me." Papa replied while Mumma was standing with her back to us.

Aman, Ayan and I were sneaking around in the corridor, clueless about the predicament.

" Ansh! I don't need anyone's validation, okay? It's called garnering an opinion. " We heard Mumma say.

" It's sure as hell, not an opinion when one barged in to declare something expecting that one might concede nevertheless."

" God! Ansh... Let it be." Mumma sounded frustrated.

" Yea. You too... "

All of us ran away before they could spot us eavesdropping.

It's always the worst when Mumma and Papa fight. The tensions between them and the rifts that ensue not only drain them but affect all the three of us equally. :(

Lastly, we would never know what it was...

But, we knew they'd make up. They always did. And that's what mattered to us.

~ Aavya, on one of the many nights when her parents fought.   

❋❋❋

Laksh was no fool and both, Aman and Rose were aware that Laksh had realized there was some unresolved tension between them, some searing fire that might burn anyone who ventures even in a mile's radius.

" Typical Aman! Have you lost your manners along with your sense of understanding as well, somewhere while coming back? Did you drop it off or wait you didn't have it at all." Aman glared at her.

" Guys! Guys..." Laksh had to do something but he was not sure what. From where he was standing he could discern that they have known each other for a very long time, they had to be friends, or if not that then something close to that. 

" It's alright! As much as I'm enjoying you two pouncing at each other like tigers fighting over common prey, I'm afraid it might turn into a wrestling match that I haven't bought a ticket to. "

" Let it be. You can enjoy it for free. I can handle him. " Rose was not showing any inclination to end this. Her head was hot as cast iron.

" But, I can't. Also, Hi, again Aman. I'm a friend of Ayan's and if I'm correct Rose's too. " He forcefully diverted Aman's sharp eyes from Rose towards him pulling his hand into a forced shake.

Aman did hear the word friend, which was rather calming now.

" Oh! I thought you were dating her. " He should not have given that insinuation but he was sure the devil himself was driving him.

Laksh looked perplexedly at Rose who was clearly getting furious with every passing second. She might even explode.

Laksh laughed.

" Oh! I do wish that could be true as I intended to fully court her." Laksh was being honest but he was so innocent that he was not aware that he was speaking the truth in front of the wrong person. But, Rose took a moment to smile as now she knew Aman had gotten restless. She knew him and she knew him all too well.

" Really? Did she reject you?" Aman asked with a sardonic smile.

" No, I did not. Besides, you don't have to be a party to whatever happens between us. Also, even I think we should date, Laksh! No better time than now. " As soon as she said that Laksh looked at her, totally befuddled. He had not expected her to yield so soon.
Yet, he was obviously glad. He liked her. Who wouldn't? She was perfect.