Chapter 38: Comforting

#84

" Rose, don't you wish ever what would've happened if you had accepted that acceptance and moved to the US to pursue your higher studies." I had to ask her. Now that we all know that Aman had chosen his dreams and passion over her and all of us. I needed to know whether she regretted not putting herself above everyone else.

" Hmm, I do think about it sometimes. I wonder whether things would've been any different than they were then or are now."  She replied after thinking. 

" Did Aman know that you were accepted into one of the best schools for designing? And you didn't think twice before rejecting it." I noticed a somber look pass over her friend's face but then she smiled. It wasn't sardonic but wistful. 

" He didn't. I'm sure if he did he would've pushed me away for good. I'm glad I didn't tell him or else it'd be his decision and not mine. " I was confused. 

" What do you mean?"

" I'm proud that it was my decision to not go. I hadn't even applied to be accepted. It was just a stroke of luck and a chain of events. Just a scholarship. Well, I was proud but it wasn't something I wanted. But, I knew if Aman was made aware he'd make me go. He'd convince me otherwise. "

"So, to be with him was not the primary reason? Even now? When we all know he..." I stopped. It was too painful to continue. 

" Why stop, Aavya? When we all know he left me, left us. To be with him must've been one of the reasons for sure. But, I don't think I was ready to leave anyone of you or my family behind. It's a blessing to have one. Truly, I'm grateful. I know we'd have survived living far away. So many do but I didn't wanna. I was happy and contented here. I had everything. And you can see I've not done that bad, did I?" 

" Oh! No. You did far too good, Rose. But are you happy and contented now?" As I glanced at her I realized what an ass of a brother I had for losing a girl like Rose.

" Ha, One might not always be in a state of bliss. But with all you here, with me. It's comforting. " 

That's all she said. It's comforting. 

And I think I do understand what she meant when she said that. No one makes us feel more comforted in our skin than the ones who love us unconditionally. Our family despite everything. 

Hence, despite everything I love them, all of them even one of my ass of a brother, very much. 

~ Aavya, reminiscing her conversation with Rose. 

❋❋❋

Parenting is a full-time job for a lifetime. It's one job that no one can resign from and despite being parents to now-adult children, these three couples were facing the toughest time of their lives. Just when they thought that with their teenage years the worst was over, adulting hit them hard. But, sometimes talking and opening your heart soothes everyone ad everything.
It's comforting just to know that there is someone out there who'll always watch your back and you can always trust them with your happiness - - your family, your parents, your siblings, and if you're lucky your friends. No one else in the world can do that but they will always be there for you. And that's why you need them.

Time flies and it was just a week ago when all the cards turned to face them. Not all but most of them. 
Aman was languishing himself behind the closed doors of his restaurants, trying as much as possible to stay from facing anyone and everyone. It was as good as he was off the grid. 
It was a surprise he had stayed such and it had been only 3 days since he had that confrontation with Thea. It was brutal and exhausting and moreover, it had forced him into thinking the inevitable, something that he did not at any cost wanted to even fathom. He could not concentrate, he could not work and all he could think was the if nots, would nots and what ifs...