CHAPTER 42: FRUSTRATION

Life really is unpredictable. If anyone told me yesterday morning that I would be in another country the next sunset, wouldn't have believed the person. But now, here I am, sitting beside my husband, questions bubbling inside me. Making me want to hit him, cry, pull my hair, scream and punch him in the face. I wiped the tear from the corner of my eye before it could run down my cheek. Why am I crying? Why is it so confusing? I want to go back. I want to creep inside my covers and sleep until all of this is over.

The car halted making me jerk a little in my seat. I looked around. We seemed to be in a pretty decent neighborhood. The people around me were dressed decently in their long overcoats, turtlenecks, and jackets. A few girls were dressed in short skirts too, although I am not sure if that would have been convenient for the weather.

I was jerked back to my situation when my door clicked open. I looked up to see Ahmed holding the door open.

I blinked a few times, not knowing how to perceive the situation. Should I scowl, or should I smile? Should I step out looking like his perfect wife or should I just smack his face?

His mouth broke into a grin as he held out his hand.

His smile made me smile slightly too as I placed my hand in his.

His fingers wrapped around mine as he brought my hand to his lips and kissed my knuckles.

"I know you have questions. I know that right now you are confused. This is nothing like you thought. But trust me. I will make everything better." He said looking at my hand. "I know, last night I went out of the line. I shouldn't have done that. I should have been calm and reasonable." He said and looked at me. "I am sorry," He said.

For a moment, I wanted to get up and hug him. Hold him close and tell him that it was okay before it occurred to me.

Even though he had apologized he didn't clear anything. My smile dropped.

Why did we literally fled from the farewell dinner? Why did Katherine and Edward look so worried? What happened that couldn't wait and we had to take a flight overnight?

I took a deep breath, collecting myself before standing up, out of the car.

"I need answers, Ahmed," I told him. He nodded at my words.
"I know, babe, and you'll have them soon enough." He said.

There, back to square one. Same thing over and over again.

"Let's head in first." He said smiling at me, though mine had dropped a while ago.

I took a deep breath, trying not to lose it, and nodded.

It appeared that Shahana and Mehmet lived on the eleventh floor of that building.

When we entered, Mehmet welcomed us warmly. Behind him, I could see Shahana laying a dish on the table. She looked up and smiled at me. I smiled back.

Mehmet held the door wider and let us in, closing the door behind him.

Their apartment was so congenial and cozy. The wall was filled with their wedding photos. Shahana with her strawberry blonde hair down in curls, holding a bouquet with Mehmet holding her from behind. They looked so affectionate. The whole décor looked very intimate. Just for the two of them.

Or maybe three. I thought as I little boy peeked shyly from behind the door. He wore a green hood from what I could tell.

Seeing the curious little boy- and he was a boy- I smiled and waved at him trying to encourage the boy to come out.

But I guess he didn't like it as he slammed the door.

Whoa, definitely didn't expect that. Am I too ugly? I thought. My gaze traveled to Shahana who shook her head laughing a little.