CHAPTER 38: GROCERY SHOPPING

AHMED'S POV:

I switched off the ignition in the parking lot of Target. 

She was silent throughout the ride. I tried talking to her. I mentioned the weather, I mentioned her exams, I mentioned Turkey but she just shrugged and mumbled. 

She just stared out of the window as she looked miserable. 

I stepped out of the car and was walking towards her door to open it for her but she did it herself and stepped out. 

She started to walk through the cold parking lot towards the store. I picked up a basket instead of a trolley as I knew we didn't need to buy a lot. 

We walked in through the automatic doors. 

I watched her hijab covered head walk ahead of me and checking in between the isles.

She was still angry.

I knew why.

"Fatima," I called her name and walked up to her.

She turned and looked at me as if asking "yes, how can I help?"

Any onlooker would have thought that she was fine, but I knew that she was troubled because when she is being herself, she smiles at me as if she has never seen me before.

"What is going on in that pretty mind of yours?" I said as I took her hand in mine.

She looked a bit taken aback by my question. She looked away before looking at me again. She pressed her lips together and looked at me with her narrowed eyes as if she was trying to find a trace of something.

"Who called you back at home?" she asked me.
"Is it why you are being so distant?" I asked her.

Of course, I was avoiding the question.

"Yes, there are a million assumptions running through my mind so we better clear things right here and right now," she said in a breath.
"Didn't you see the caller ID?" I asked her.
"I did, and that is what is confusing me if it were a woman's name I wouldn't have doubted you for a second but who saves someone's number as a business?" She asked me.

I took a deep breath and looked at her. She was staring at me with her doe-like eyes all worried and troubled.

She looked scared even at some point.

I was living my worst nightmare yet I couldn't let it show.

I smiled at her reassuringly and cupped her face.

"You could have asked me at the condo too and I would have answered you, you silly girl," I added a laugh at the end just to feign confidence.
"But I am asking you now, you can tell me," she said.
"It was Mehmet from Istanbul the manager and supervisor of our current project in Turkey," I told her.
"Why did you save his number as a business?" she further interrogated with her doubtful eyes.
"Because when I got his number written, I had already forgotten his name so that is the ID name I chose," I told her calmly.
"Forgot his name? Are you kidding me? You are CEO of a multinational construction company and you expect me to believe that you forgot the name of your supposed supervisor?" She pushed my hands away from her face and stepped back. "I might look but I am not that stupid or dumb, not yet anyway," she told me with her now anger filled eyes.

I pushed my hands into my pocket and looked away as I thought.

"You still doubt me?" I asked her. She didn't reply, instead, she looked away and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Okay, then there is only one way to rid you of your doubts and suspicions," I said and pulled out my phone from my pocket.

I dialed the number on my phone and then handed it over to Fatima.