PROLOGUE: DUSK

"They were miles apart

"They were miles apart. This was not the first time they were parted, distance in there relationship had always been the third person. It came and then went and then came again. Their relationship was being tested every now and then. Mostly because of his mistakes but sometimes because of fate too. This time however it was different, this time they both knew it was last time that distance had stepped in between them. This time they would meet and their already belated happily ever after will take place. They knew this because they had now placed trust in the fate and the god that bonded them by it."

"This is the place." Furqan Bhai told her, she nodded and looked around. A layer of dust had settled over the décor. It would take hours to clean. She thought. But at least I have a place to hide now. The positive self chimed in as she looked around.

It was an old but antique place. This place was built with the taste of someone from the 1980s. The door frame accents, the gold and brown work all were screaming that the designer of this place never intended this place for 2019. The warm morning breeze of May blew in from the terrace. The sunshine felt pleasant, not too harsh, and not too mild. She walked to the balcony and looked out. There it is, the city of Karachi, as busy as it always is.

"Wait here, I will bring your luggage." Furqan Bhai said, heading out. She smiled at him.

She walked around looking in the rooms. It was a three-bedroom apartment, open kitchen, two bathrooms, one pantry, and a big lounge. It was a family apartment. According to the time it was built, one could say it was modern, but years and years of being locked had placed the apartment years back. It was like a piece of old times that has been left as the time moved on.

She looked at her wristwatch when she felt that Furqan Bhai was taking more time than she expected. Fifteen minutes?! She thought alarmed. He should be here already. She thought worried heading for the door of the apartment, her abaya flowing against her body and her hijab behind her, but halted when she saw him enter the apartment sweating.

"The darned lift broke down." He said with a hint of anger.

"You should have called me." She said looking at him with a little bit of complaint in her eyes.

"Have my little sister work?! No way," he said smiling as he kept the luggage in the cupboard.

He straightened his posture and brushed off invisible wrinkles.

"I still insist that you should live with us." Again with the same discussion. She thought it irritated a bit.

"Bhai, I need some time on my own. I need space from everyone." She thought to look at him.

"Fami, we were not trying to hide it from you. We were..." Furqan Bhai started to say something again but she interrupted him.

"Protect me, I know." She completed his sentence. "I never did blame anyone for what happened. I trust you, people, it's time for you to trust me too." She said looking outside again. Furqan Bhai sighed as if giving up.