CHAPTER 26: THE TRUTH OF YESTERDAY

The truth is a very chaotic thing that has been created

The truth is a very chaotic thing that has been created. If not proclaimed openly, it just proclaims itself. If you try to suppress it or hold it down, it will just throw you down and stand up tall. Out of everything this world has catered, truth is the one that just cannot be held back or curtained.

PRESENT

KARACHI, PAKISTAN

She wiped her tears and walked up to the kitchen counter to pick up her phone. She quickly dialed Furqan's number and waited as it rang. 

"Asalam O Alaikum, Fatima, are you alright?" He said getting to the point right away.
"Wa Alaikum Asalam, Furqan Bhai, I am alright. I just wanted to ask you if you had told Farhan about my address," she said sitting down on the couch. 
"Farhan? No, I don't think that it was me." 
"Are you sure?" 
"Yes, I am sure." Farhan paused. "Did something happen?" 
"Farhan came here." She said massaging her temples. 
"What?!" There was a clear shock in his voice. 
"And I might have slapped him." She said hesitantly. 

Whether or not Furqan Bhai was helping her and understood her, he was still Farhan's brother and she didn't want him to hate or misunderstand her. Furqan was one of the handful of people that she trusted and could lean on. 

"He must have deserved it. He hasn't learned to behave himself ever since..." His voice wandered off. 
"Bhai?... Bhai?" She spoke louder but the call was disconnected. 

She sighed before keeping the phone away. 

Time to go to the kitchen. 

She was setting the table when the doorbell rang. She quickly ran towards it. 

"Who's there?" She asked from across the door. 
"It's me Fati!" She heard Areej's voice. 

Sudden excitement soared through her as she quickly unlocked the door and opened it. 

"Asalam O Alaikum!" She shrieked, holding out many colorful gift bags in her opened arms. 
"Wa Alaikum Asalam, Areej," She embraced her as Areej snuggled further into her, holding her close. 

She pulled away wiping tears, where did they come from? She didn't know. She sniffed and laughed nervously. 

"What is all this?" She said looking at the bags. Areej laughed.
"Come, I'll show you," Areej said taking her hand and pulling her behind.
"Let me close the door at least," Fatima said pulling her hand away laughing. 
"Oh, sorry." Areej seemed to be very excited as she sheepishly let her hands go. 

Fatima locked the doors from inside and came inside to see Areej who was now sitting on the couch. The bags were placed beside her. 

Areej looked up at her and smiled before patting the place on the couch beside her, inciting Fatima to come and sit beside her. Fatima smiled and sat down beside her.