CHAPTER 45: MISCHIEVOUS BOY

Wahima by Parveen Shakir

tumhārā kahnā hai

You say

tum mujhe be-panāh shiddat se chāhte ho

You love me with an intensity of no bounds

tumhārī chāhat

Your love

visāl āḳhirī hadoñ tak

To the last limits of coition

mire faqat mere naam hogī

will be in my, just my name

mujhe yaqīñ hai mujhe yaqīñ hai

I believe you, I believe you

magar qasam khāne vaale laḌke!

But swearing boy

tumhārī āñkhoñ meñ ek til hai!  

There is a beauty mark on your eyes

I was walking out of the washrooms trying to keep down my stomach contents (if there were any left) as I covered my mouth with my hand when my eyes fell on him.

He appeared as if he was on brink of madness as he spoke to a woman who shook her head in a no and walked away. His eyes wandered around as his hands held a cup of tea and... Is that a hot pad? Before his brooding gaze fell on mine. 

He leaped towards me with long and quick strides. 

"Where were you?" He asked as soon as he reached me. 
"La-ladies room," I replied feeling that my throat had gone a little raw. "I had to throw up," I explained when I saw his confused look. 

"Throw up?" His eyes widened, "Did you catch an infection? Should we go to a doctor?" He asked as he led me back to the bench he made m sit before running off. 

I waved him away.

"No, I know what it is," I said as he held out the paper cup containing tea to me. 
"What is it?" He asked as I took the cup and drank. 

The tea was hot and spicy with ginger and cinnamon. 

"I think it's because of the pain," I said. 
"Has this happened before?" He asked tightening the coat around me.
"A lot more than I'd like," I said. "Whenever I caught a cold when I was young, either of my limbs would start aching and it would be so bad that I would start puking," I explained. 

His gaze turned stern. 

"Does it hurt that bad?" He asked. 

I tried to smile at him but could only manage a grimace as I felt my uterus contract.

"We are going to the doctor," Ahmed announced as he took my hand and pulled me to my feet. 

I tried to wave him off but he was too busy picking up the bags. 

"The doctor will only prescribe a pain killer, that's it. I can do a better job and sleep when we get home." I tried to talk sense into him. 

"We are going to the doctor." He stated "No arguing, you're not 4. You are a grown woman. Act like it." His tone got a little reprimanding.