CHAPTER 01: RUNNING AWAY

Life was like a circle, no matter how hard you tried to run, no matter how much distance you try to put in, you would always find yourself at the point you started from

Life was like a circle, no matter how hard you tried to run, no matter how much distance you try to put in, you would always find yourself at the point you started from. She was now where her circle had started. She was back at the starting point of life. But she was glad because the new start meant a new beginning, a new chapter, and new adventures. The only difference this time was that now she had learned. She had had experiences which had taught her, mentored her. This time around, she'll make sure that she gets her happy ending.

She stared at her cleaned apartment. White tiles were glinting like diamonds. She was proud of her work. She sighed and kept down the mop against the wall. The walls had yellowed with age. She looked at them and made a mental note to ask Furqan Bhai to bring her some paint. At least she would have something to do other than wasting her time.

She went into her room and threw herself on the mattress. It was old along with the dressing table. These haven't been used but there was a lot of dust deposited there through the years. She was coated in dust from head to toe but she didn't care. She was not disgusted as she used to be. Made of dust, and will return to dust. She thought as she closed her eyes.

She opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling. I wonder what he is doing right now. Has he found out where she is now? Would he be on a plane? Would he- STOP. She sat up. This why she hated being idle. Being idle means wandering a mind, and a wandering mind is like a horse, it leads to places that it knows only, and lately only place her mind knew was him. She shook her head and stood up.

The bell rang.

Is he here already? Her heart skipped a beat. She picked up her hijab and wrapped it loosely around her head.

"Who is it?" She called when she reached the door.

"Furqan!" came the voice from the other side. "Hurry up and open the door." She opened the door to see him carrying two cardboard boxes one on the top of the other. Saima followed him right after carrying shoppers.

"Asalam o Alaikum bhai, Asalam o Alaikum Bhabi." She said closing the door.
"Wa Alaikum salam," Saima said hugging her and then kissing her cheeks.
"What are these?" She said eyeing the boxes and the shoppers.
"Just a little something," Saima said holding her hand.
"You didn't have to." Replied Fatima in a low voice.

Furqan disappeared into the kitchen with the boxes.

"Why not? This is not charity Fatima, this is just me and Furqan trying our best to be with you. Don't push us away." Saima said looking into her eyes.
"I just don't want to be a burden on anyone." She said looking down at her feet which were by now dirty with dust.

She felt a warm embrace around her.

"You are not a burden to us. You are Furqan's sister, you are a part of our family." Saima said hugging her. She felt tears pricking her eyes as she hugged her back.