CHAPTER 23: ENGAGED

I stared at Katherine's hanging open face

I stared at Katherine's hanging open face. Awkward silence stood between us as she just stared at me. I just scratched the back of my head as she slumped back in her chair and blinked at me. I had told her everything about Ahmed from start to the part about him asking for my hand in marriage. 

The hiemal breeze of the morning was numbing my cheeks as I picked up my coffee from the table and brought it to my lips.

"WHAT THE FRICK?!" I was not startled by her outburst as I was kinda expecting this. In fact, I was surprised that she wasn't throwing herself at me with a knife. I placed the cup back on the table and pressed my lips together as I struggled to hold in my smile. "You had a guy in your life all this time and you didn't tell me? Oh my god. I tell you every single detail about any guy that sparks my interest and you are telling me about him only when your engagement gets fixed?" She slammed her palm on the table and then leaned back again. 

"Wow." She said. 
"I wanted to talk but I just didn't get the opportunity." I tried to make an excuse. 
"Don't talk as if I don't know you. You could have told me if you wanted to. You were keeping the thing about Saad dude to yourself too if it were not for the fact that I had asked about your phone being out of coverage." She crossed her arms over her chest. 
"Okay, I am sorry. I won't hide anything from you now onwards. In fact, I will tell you each and every detail. Happy now?" I asked. She just smiled at me. 
"So what are you planning to wear on the engagement day?" She asked.
"Shalwar kameez or gharara. There won't be many people, just close relatives, and friends so I am not planning to wear something too heavy like lehnga." I gave her details. 
"What's a gharara?" She asked as I sipped coffee. 

I nodded in response before pulling out my phone. I opened my gallery and clicked on the picture of the dress concept I had chosen. She looked at it and smiled. 

"Wow, you would look very pretty. Have you bought jewelry?" She asked. I shook my head in negative. 
"You should see it on the big day," I said and winked. 

She handed the phone back to me. I looked at the time before my eyes went wide. 

"Damn the Iblees, we are late for the lecture!" I exclaimed as I zipped up my bag and threw it over my shoulder. 

Katherine kept sitting as stood up. 

"Do you have any intention of attending the lecture?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. 
"You're getting married! Oh my god, I am so excited!" She jumped up from the chair. 
"Calm down. I am not getting married right now. I'll be engaged  next week." I said.
"What shall I wear?" She asked. 
"I think you have lost your mind," I said dragging her behind me towards the campus.

I couldn't help but laugh at how stupid we were being. 

Aunty had asked me to get my nose pierced. She gave an absurd reason for it but said that in the end decision was mine whether I wanted to get my nose pierced or not.