CHAPTER 03: A NEW PLACE A NEW LIFE

She had lost everything when she lost her family

She had lost everything when she lost her family. She just had one thing left and that was her breath.  It didn't mean much to her but she knew that the only reason she didn't perish in that inferno of grief was the fact that there was a purpose to her life, and she embraced it. She will start her world anew.

I stood outside the terminal of Toronto Pearson International Airport, my luggage sitting by my legs, regretting the decision of not keeping warmer clothes in my hand carry. I looked among the people for someone with my name on their card, cursing myself more because of cold weather. My teeth were chattering despite the heaters around the place. The airport looked festive with Christmas decorations. Through the glass exterior of the airport, I could see the sun that had turned orangish golden.

If I had come here a few months prior, I would be dancing the moment my feet touched the ground. I would have uploaded my check-in on Facebook. I would be taking selfies in this beautiful sunlight and sending it to my family WhatsApp group, where Khizzer Bhai would have been first to say, "Breaking news, a monkey was spotted hopping at Canadian International airport."

My cousin Saleha and best friend Areej would have been hitting my WhatsApp checking if I had made safely or not. I stared at the cell phone in my hand and contemplated what has my life became like.

I wore shades to hide my red puffy eyes and eye bags. Trying not to give my hosts nightmares you see.

I tiptoe to see if someone is behind the crowd of eager faces looking for their loved ones.

I felt something push me disturbing my balance. I shut my eyes waiting for the impact of ground to hit my body..... which never came. There is warmness on my waist. I open my eyes to see who my knight in shining armor is... All I see is a sharp jawline... The person is dressed in 3 piece suit which seems familiar....

No. nonononononononono. Please let it not be him... Please, Allah.

I felt the hand being removed from my waist as I regained my composure.

"Young lady, can you try to not bump into me every time you see me." The same coal-black eyes are looking into me, they looked amused. His lips are pulled into a strange one-sided smirk.

He thought I was hitting upon him?!!!

I gulp. What should I do? Apologize? That would be the third time in the last twenty-four hours. Then what? Blame him? What? No? Maybe I should go with an apology. But he also saved me.

If I were a few months younger I would have grabbed is caller, looked into his eyes, and would have said "Excuse me Mr. I-run-the-world, I am not trying to hit upon you. You are not even my type. I would not look at you second glance if I have the choice even in a thousand years. You might be popular in women but I am sorry your stupid three-piece suit does not interest me. I would rather hit my head on a concrete wall than to talk to you. Not every girl is inspired by your stupid Rolex watch. I especially feel revolted by your stone-cold exterior and your stupid arrogance. You can rot in hell for all I care you stupid beast." And then walk out without even glancing back.