CHAPTER 43: CONFRONTATION

I gaped at Saad who had bent down to my level and was looking over me as if checking for any damage.

"You're okay?" He asked as if the last time we spoke wasn't three years. As if the last time we were together, the mother of his didn't child confronted him.

"I think we should go to the hospital, you don't look okay." He said brushing something off my head.

I pulled myself out of my trance.

"N-no, I am fine," I quickly stood up. He stood up too and looked at me. He smiled at me.

Why is he acting like we're friends? Not bitter exes?

He opened his mouth to say something but two policemen intervened and spoke in Turkish.

I looked at Saad before looking at them back.

"What?" I said. They repeated the Turkish words again. I blinked at them. "Sorry, I don't speak Turkish," I said.
"They're saying that you need to give your statement," Saad spoke.
"Statement?"
"Regarding what happened."

I gulped.

"I came to Turkey from Canada four days ago. I am staying at Bosphorus View Hotel with my husband. I needed to buy groceries so I went to the store. On the way back I couldn't get a cab so I took the way I could." I said trying to be as specific as I could. "And they stopped me," I said gesturing towards the men.

Saad translated my case.

A few more questions later they left.

Saad and I stood there as awkward silence grew.

"Thank you," I spoke first.
"You're welcome." He replied looking away. "Do you want me to drop you?"
"Huh?"
"I can drop you."
"I... don't know"
"Please allow me. I am not sure if I can show up next time if you get caught by wrong people."

I thought for a second before nodding and taking up his offer.

We walked to his car parked in the alley.

"What is your car doing here?" I asked him.
"I was visiting a friend." He answered before the car unlocked.

He opened the door for me and I sat in the car.

He quickly took his seat before hitting the road.

We rode in silence for a bit before he spoke.

"What wind brought you in Turkey?" He said as he looked at the road. I hesitated a bit before answering.
"My husband's business." I said looking at my nails before looking outside the window.
"You got married?" He asked with a hint of confusion.
"Yeah, almost three years ago," I can't believe the third anniversary would be here in a few months.
"Congratulations," He said in a quiet tone.

I nodded silently acknowledging his well wishes.

The car fell into silence again. A suffocating one.

I took a deep breath before speaking up again.

"What about you?" I asked turning towards him.
"What about me?" he asked.
"Got married? How is your baby? Etcetera, etcetera."
"What baby?" He asked.

I sat up in my seat.

"Your baby," I said. "The one which woman in yellow coat said," I tried to make him remember.
"Ah, that." He laughed.
"What are you laughing for?" I asked.
"Your destination has arrived." Saad said hitting the breaks.

I looked around, sure enough we were at Bosphorus view Hotel.

"For now, you should know that I don't have a child yet. What and why are questions for next time we see each other." Saad said.