CHAPTER 08: A DAY OUT WITH DEVIL

He didn't know why he wanted to spend more time in her presence. She was entertaining to watch and even more entertaining to tease. Even though she tried to play it off as a nonchalant person, he could see that he got right through her skin. And he couldn't say he didn't enjoy every second of it.

We were all sitting on the dining table. Only males, Mom, and that Fatima girl were still in the kitchen. I don't what these ladies do in there, like make the food and serve, there is no need of spreading cilantro on food and mint in the drinks. In the end, it is going to be shit, then why be so precise about it?

My dad and William were talking about something, probably some politicians. William is only in his mid-twenties yet he thinks like a forty-year-old man. It's not like he grew up, nope, he was always like this. Even when we were in kindergarten he never touched soil trying to keep his hands clean. Edward is too much of a child, it feels as if apart from running his dad's hotel, he didn't use his brains. I would even sometimes comment about selling it since he didn't use it.

Speaking of whom, I looked over to see him swiping right on tinder.

This man never stops. I thought shaking his hands. Edward was determined to find his soul mate ever since I met him. He has this concept that somewhere in this wide fucked up world lives a girl that has been created as his partner and will be his and his only. Sure he gets hit on by women but never went past talking phase because he always felt that those women are not meant for him.

Sure I tried talking him out of it, but that never worked. It is hard to believe that this man in his mid-twenties is a virgin, never even got a head. He wants his "soul mate" to be his first. He will die a virgin if you ask me because soul mates are a figment of the imagination of some fancy poet who lived in 3000 BCE and didn't know that he was schizophrenic. I scoffed at his sight.

I noticed my mom as she walked inside the dining room with her arm around Fatima girl. My mom took a seat beside my dad and Fatima sat in front of me beside William. She kept her phone on the table and was listening to whatever old joke my dad was telling. Seriously, his collection never ends. She laughed as he said the punch line.

She had this cute little laugh where her one hand covered her mouth and her laughter came out as loud but not ill-mannered. Cute.

My mom had maid serve her first and then the rest of us, she is getting too much attached to her. I thought taking a sip of water from my glass.

She was mostly talking to my mom who was for some unknown reason very thrilled to have her talk to her. She was holding her hand tightly as if too paranoid to let her go. Chill woman, I am the one you gave birth to, not her.

She ate very little, I noticed. She didn't eat much at breakfast too. I wonder why that is.

Her phone lit up and started vibrating. She looked at the username and excused herself.

FATIMA'S POV:

I answered the video call and placed the phone at an angle at which my face would be visible to the other person.

"Asalam O Alaikum," I said as soon as I saw her.
"Wa Alaikum Asalam Wa alaikum asalam beta. How are you?" Nafisa Khala asked me in urdu.
"I am fine, how are you?" I asked her.
"Alhumdulilah, I am very fine, but I am very angry with you." She complained.
"Complain? From me? What did I do?" I asked with wide eyes.
"What did I tell you when I was packing your bags?" She asked.
"What?" I asked.
"Really? You don't even remember?"
"I am sorry I forgot, now tell me what did I not remember."
"Did I not ask you to call me the moment you meet Zulekha?" Uh oh, oops, I let it slip I guess.
"Sorry, Khala, I forgot," I said
"Masha Allah beta, not even a day has passed abroad and you have started forgetting your relatives here in Pakistan. I am so proud of you. Tomorrow if you get married to someone without even telling me, I won't be surprised. Acha sila diya tu ne mere piar ka." She said sarcastically singing the last part.