CHAPTER 13: RED FLAGS

FATIMA'S POV

I was cursing myself mentally as today I was late. Not like as late as to miss class but late enough to not have enough time for breakfast. Katy and I had decided to meet at a coffee shop that had opened recently and have breakfast with her.

I quickly threw on my white Kurti with beige hijab and rushed out in my pumps. When I remembered I don't have my books with me. I rushed back to my room.

I was picking up my books and bag and getting ready to set off when Zulekha Aunty came to me calling my name.

"Fatima?" I looked at her and smiled. "Beta today Gul would not be able to pick you up." She said.
"It's okay, I can Uber," I said as I moved out of my room.
"I'll see what I can do." She said.
"Allah Hafiz," I called as I moved out of the house.

Gul dropped me at the coffee shop. I quickly rushed inside as I looked for Katherine ready to apologize for being late but she was nowhere to be seen.

Maybe she went away after waiting. I thought and pulled out my phone out of my bag.

I dialed her number. It rang and went to the voicemail but she didn't attend the call. I called again and same thing repeated. On the fourth call she picked up.

"Hello." She said in a raspy groggy voice.
"Hello Katy, where are you?" I said hurriedly.
"In my bed." She said and I heard her cough.
"Are you okay?" I asked.
"No, I seemed to have a fever. I won't be coming today. Please record lectures for me." Her voice was really frail.
"Okay, don't fret. Are you at dorm room?" I asked
"Yes, right now I am at the dorm."
"Did you talk to the doctor?" I asked her.
"No," She coughed. "Not yet."
"Are you stupid? You're having a fever and you didn't talk to the doctor." I was frustrated.
"Are you going to scold a sick person?" She asked.
"Rest well. I will check up on you." I said
"Okay." She replied and the line died.

I put my phone down and looked around. Now what? I thought. Maybe I should just order a coffee and leave.

I ordered my coffee and was leaving when I bumped into someone and spilled coffee.

"I am so sorry." I said and then looked up to the person and... "Saad?" I said in shock.
"Hola Hermoso," He smiled.
"I am so sorry, did I get coffee on you?" I said looking at him. He just smiled.
"Nope, I am still good." He said.
"But still, I am sorry. I am really clumsy." I said as I picked up napkin that was given with the coffee and wiped my hands dry. Although they were still a little sticky.
"It's okay." He said. "Let me buy you another one."

He moved to the counter without even waiting for my response. I followed after him.

"So what are you doing here?" He asked me as he took coffee and a khaki bag from the waitress.
"My med school is few minutes' walk away. What are you doing here?" I asked him.
"I stopped to grab a cup of coffee before heading out." He took a sip of his coffee. "It's really good." He commented.

I sipped too and I agreed, not vocally but in my head.

"Here, it's for you." He said holding the khaki bag out.
"What's this?" I said taking the bag.
"Cookies. Have some, I know you didn't have breakfast." He said looking away.
"Thanks I guess." I said putting the cookies in my bag.

We were heading out of the café door when I bumped into someone again, this time I saved my coffee.

"Watch out, clumsy pants." I heard Saad say.

"I am sorry." I said turning to the person who stood there and for a moment I froze. Ahmed.

Before situation could escalate I just walked out of there. Something about Ahmed makes I hard for me to breath. I wasn't very far when I heard my name called. I turned to see Saad running towards me. After reaching me he bent down panting.