CHAPTER 30: AWAY BUT CLOSE

I skipped med school in the morning too. I felt too fatigued by everything. I was still in the clothes that I wore yesterday. It seemed so far off when he came to my room in the morning. I didn't know someone would become such a large part of my life in mere hours. 

His cologne was still settled in my clothes. 

The sun had already come up yet my eyes had not even had a blink of sleep. 

I just laid there on the bed as I stared at the ceiling. No, I wasn't crying. I didn't cry after he left. I talked to Aunty. Then had a phone call with Katherine. Tried to study and eat before walking up to my bed and throwing my back softly on the cozy place and stared at the ceiling. 

The bastard really took all the hustle bustle from my life. Okay, maybe he is not a bastard. 

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. 

My head was aching like hell. 

Okay maybe skipping breakfast wasn't a good idea. I thought massaging my temples.

I wrapped up my dupatta and hung it on the hanger in the closet. before pulling out cotton pajamas that had just arrived from the laundry. 

As I headed into the bathroom, a glimpse of my phone laying on my bed and I don't know why but I came out and took it into the washroom with me. I kept it on the shelving unit where I was sure no water would be getting but I would still catch the ringing tone. 

I ran the hot water and stepped into the steaming yet balmy shower. 

The shower was searing yet mitigating. I closed my eyes as the water droplets fell on my body. I turned the shower off and picked up the shampoo bottle from the shelf in the shower and squeezed out the thick dense but fragrant liquid into my palm before massaging it into my head. 

The action somehow felt a little alleviating and I closed my eyes trying to find tranquility in the hushed moment. 

The noise of my ringtone pierced right through the quietude making me snap open my eyes. 

I peeked out of the shower and saw the screen of my phone was lighted up as it rang. I washed my hands and ran to the phone. 

"Mushtaq," The caller ID said. 

I hastily picked up the phone and swiped on the screen to pick up the call. 

However, the screen did not react as my hands were wet. I quickly dabbed them on the towel that was placed below my phone and swiped again. 

"Hello?" I said hastily. 
"Hi," His tired voice came through. 
"Asalam O Alaikum." I said.
"Wa Alaikum Asalam." He replied. 
"How are you?" I asked. 
"Hmmm, fine." He is definitely tired. 
"Where are you?" I asked. 
"Apartment," He replied. 
"You have reached Istanbul?" I asked him. 
"Hmm." 
"Okay, then have some rest," I could tell he was tired so I tried to disconnect the call myself. 
"No, just keep talking." He said in a louder voice. 

I laughed at his eagerness. 

"You're tired, just sleep," I said. 
"Where are you?" He asked. 
"Well, at home," I said trying to avoid saying that I was stark naked in my bathroom with a foam sitting in my hair. 
"Your voice is kinda rebounding. Can you turn on the camera?" He asked. 
"Not really." I laughed nervously. 
"Why?" He asked. 
"I was kinda in the middle of the bath before you call," I said hesitantly. "So I'll finish that and call you back. How about that?" I said. 
"No, just turn on the speaker while you shower." He said. 
"It's not like I would be hearing you over the shower." I rolled my eyes. 
"At least I would know that you're still on the line."