Natasha

As I walk inside,the familiar sounds make their way to my ears.The drunken slurrs.The negotiation of how much it is for a sexual game I have no knowledge of knowing ever existed,and the throated laughter coming from the pool table.

" Tasha? Is that you?!"Jaxon jumps over the counter and wraps me in a tight a hug.I grunt,as a pang of throbbing pain flares up in my chest."I'm sorry. I forgot," He laughs a giddy laugh."We've got some catching up to do,Nat!"

I take my preferred spot at the bar."How've you been,Jax?"

"I have a girlfriend now.She's little,like you,and she's got really pretty black hair and she's got these crazy blue eyes that would absolutely melt your heart."

"She got a name?"

"Nina."

"She sounds nice."

"Yeah,she's great. What about you and Cap. Did you take my advice?"

"Actually I did, Jax."

"And..."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"I won't make you tell me. How are you anyway,after France?"

Clint flashes into my memory and soon I realize that this France thing must have been broadcasted on TV."How do you know about that?"

"The news. Pain to watch,but I was flickin' through channels and saw you.They said you'd been in critical condition and they weren't sure you were gonna get out."

"And what else?"

"Some guy attacked you. Claimin' S.H.I.E.L.D is tryin' to make a comeback.Everything alright?"

"Yeah,yeah,I'm just- it's me.I haven't been feeling all that hot since we left."

"Sorry to hear that ,Hot Shot."

"It's fine. I'm ok."

"What's the word on that guy?"

Ward is dead.I remember that much.Before I blacked out.Steve broke his neck and he died.

His eyes rolled back into his head and the crack of the bone nauseated me,though the pain from the wound diminished the urge to be sick quickly.

That much I remember.

"He's not a problem any more."

"You mean he's somewhere under Washington?"

"Close enough to it,Jax.Close enough."

"You seem fidgety,Tasha.You sure you're okay?"

I look at the counter and thrumming my fingers against it."I'm sure."

"C'mon, you know I can help you out with this stuff. I've done a thousand times over.Plus,I thought you trusted me."

"I do,Jax.But it's just me. I don't want to screw you around with my problems."

"Is it,Cap?"

Yes.

No.

Yes.

But no.

"No,Jax.I told you I didn't want to tal about that."

"Fine.Are you back at Avengers Tower?"

"Yes."

"And how'd they welcome you? Is that why you're so... weird today?"

"They didn't.I was tired from flying,so I went to sleep."

"Are you avoiding their questions?"

Yes.

No.

Yes.

But no.

"No."

"You're brushin' me off,Nat."He says deflated.

"Look,I'll come back another day.I'm just not feeling really good.And I just stopped by to say ,hi. I'm sorry."

"It's no problem.I totally understand where you're coming from. But when you come back I want to hear all about France."

I lean over the counter and kiss his forehead."You got it,Jaxon."

He waves as I leave and I hurry home,my head throbbing painfully.