Peggy

It is a quarter before dawn and I have yet to close my eyes. The past few days have been restless. I have not been able to get any sleep. I lay down but sleep does not meet me.

I'm afraid.

Too many people here are dying or already dead,and the one's that aren't haunt me. They stand over me and look down at me,even though they are not there.

Coulson enters my room and sits down in the empty chair near the window."No sleep again?"

I sit down at the edge of the bed."I'm afraid not,no."

He nods."Me either."

He does not wear his usual suit and tie,but instead a S.H.I.E.L.D provided shirt and black jogging pants.

"Is there something you needed?"

He looks at me."What happens now? Are you just gonna back?"

"Back where?"

"To being...you."

"Old?"

He laughs."If that's what you want to call it."

I stare at the ground."If you'll have me,I'd like to stay at S.H.I.E.L.D."

He looks over at me."Are you serious?"

"I thought it over. I really did. And I want to stay here. If I could be of use."

"Of course. I don't see why not."

He offers me his hand and I shake it."Well I have to go. It's a pleasure to welcome you to the team."

"The pleasure is all mine."

Once Couslon is gone,I walk to Steve's room and watch his chest rise and fall. Since yesterday,the wounds he'd gotten from the crash have healed. His skin has begun to regain it's color and his lips are no longer the deep blue color they'd been.

He stirs and soon his eyes are open. Weary and blue. He looks around the room,his eyes locking my face."Hi."

"Hi,Peggy,"I sit down beside his bed."How is Natasha. How is she doing?"

"She's stable again."

"Again."

"She slipped twice. They don't know if she'll make it."

He sits up slowly."What?"

"Steve,you should take it easy-"

"She could die,Peggy."

"You and I both know she's stronger than that."

He looks away from me."You don't know that."

"Yes I do. She was strong enough to fall for you. Strong enough to take out Yelena Belova while she was barely able to walk. She is going to pull out of this."

"Where is she."

"Steve,you just woke up."

"And I feel fine-"

"Stop lying to yourself."

"I don't know if she's going to pull through. She matters too much for me to just sit here."

"Steve-"

"Stop. I have to see her now."

"You aren't even cleared to leave the room. I'm the only one who knows you're awake."

"So what? I want to see her now."

He stands his full height.He rolls his shoulders and looks down at me."Take me to her."

"Steve-"

"Take me to her."

"You're ready for this. To see her like she is."

"Take me now."

I stand and look him over. His bruises have already begun to heal,and beneath his confident posture,I see the pain wrenching his body.

"Steve-"

"Peggy,you aren't going to lecture me out of this. I want you to take me to Natasha right now."

I nod and lead him down the hall to Natasha's room. Clint sits beside her bed,watching as he has been the past few days.

Steve walks to the foot of her bed slowly and Clint stands."I probably shouldn't be here."

Steve looks down at him."You're alive."

"Yeah,Big Guy. So are you."

"How's she been."

"She's doing better now. She's stable."Clint lays his hand on Steve's shoulder."I'll leave you two alone then."

Clint and I leave Steve and Natasha alone."Hungry? I know a guy who cooks really well."

"Sure,why not."