Steve

"Hey, 'Tasha."

"Hi,Steve."

I suppose that we've adopted that as our thing. I notice we do it a lot. Mostly in situations like this. But that needs to stop.

I kneel down,kissing her soft lips."I needed to do that."

"How are you?"

"How are you?" I laugh."You can barely keep those eyes open,Nat."

"I'm tired."

"I heard they had to up the dosage."

"That's what Clint said. How are you , Steve? After..."

"I'm alright. I'm doing better. I just needed some air, and I was fine. Where are the others?"

"I don't know. When I woke up it was only,Clint."

"Tony..." I trail off not sure what to say about him.

"I know, Steve. He's been at it for days."

"Can you believe it though. He just wants to give up."

Her silence bothers me.

"Natasha you aren't-"

"Steve look at where I am right now. I'm here,not able to move my legs. No, I'm not syaing I'm giving up,but right now, it looks like I'm of no use."

"I need you," I say." Does that count for something. I could use you."

"Steve-"

"No,I don't know what's gotten into you guys. You're all acting like we're just done. Like there is no way in Hell we can make this better."

"They took everything from us,Steve. They took ,Bruce. Years and years of work from Tony. They took my ablity to walk ,away from me. Where is the hope in that,Steve? You tell me."

"We have to have faith that we can still win this. Leviathan hasn't taken everything from us. We still have eachother-"

"Yeah, minus one and a half."

"Natasha ,stop."

"Steve, he's gone. The tower is gone.Where is the hope at? Because I don't see it."

"It's there,Natasha. Somewhere."

"Somewhere is not here. Bruce was one of my closest friends and now look where he is. Dead. Burried underneath a pile of rubble,because of those idiots. Because of two people. Two. Let's say they have an army. Then what? Then what,Steve? We are done for."

"I just think your afraid of ,Yelena."

"She took everything from me. Years of my life on the run because of that sick bitch,Steve. Yes , I am afraid of her. She haunts me when I sleep. She haunts me when I walk the streets. When I think of where I came from. I am terrified to see her face again. If you want to be honest, I was glad that she had gotten Jaxon before I got there. I was glad I dodn't have to see her,because then I'd be dead too. She's like my Bucky. Not my best friend. But she is a reminder of my past."

"She is that bad?"

"Yes,she is."

"Your ,Bucky."

"That's exaclty what I said. Just think how hard it was to face him. How you froze up when you saw his face. Well it's not that it's because she was my friend and I don't want to hurt her. Lord knows I want to be the first to hurt her. But I know,I'll freeze up. I know she'll kill me."

"You shouldn't allow her to be the tyrant that controls your life. You should know what has to be done."

"I know what has to be done,Steve. But how can it be when I'm like this. Less than a person-"

"You are more than every person. Even me. You know what,that should've killed you. I've seen the same thing kill plenty of men before. You survived it and you're able to stand now. That's your hope ,Natasha."

"Steve." She says simply. That's her indicator. She wants me to stop talking. But I won't. Not while she thinks she is less of a person.

"I know,shut up."

"I want you to stop talking to me about this."

"Just- You know that even like this,you're still the strong,independent,smart and beautiful woman you always were? In my eyes. Does that matter to you,'Tasha?"

"Yes. It does."

"Does it really matter to you? Because I feel like as long as you feel this way about yourself, my words don't matter."

"They matter,Steve." Suddenly she sounds way more exhausted than she did and I feel guilty.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"You're tired,and I'm here giving you a motivational speech."

"I needed it," She reaches up and brushes my cheek. "I'm just glad you're alright."

I kiss her forhead."Would you care for watching a movie?"

"Do you know how to work a blu-ray player?"

"I'll figure it out."

"Let's watch it upstairs. That way,we'll have privacy,and if we fall asleep we'll be comfortable."

I lift her off the couch with ease."You're so light."

"Take me upstairs please."

"Yeah,yeah."