the bonfire

Time skip lol I'm lazy

Thomas and I stood outside a circle of boys who were surrounding a tall tepee of sticks ready to be lit. A smaller group of guys were around this tepee and they were each holding a lighted branch.

 "Light it up!" Alby yelled and the smaller circle of gladers threw their lighted sticks into the pile; setting it alight. The gladers yelled wildly as the flames licked at the branches, and soon there was a blazing fire.

 Everyone held up jars of some drink and toasted them together, cheering and laughing. Thomas and I were sitting with our backs leaning on a turned-over log when Newt came over and sat in the middle of us. 

"Hell of a day greenies." He said casually.

 "We do have names you know? You don't have to keep calling us greenies." I replied, done with everyone calling us that. Newt just shrugged a small smile tugging at his lips.

 "Here put some hair on your chest Thomas and Antonia...... well just drink it." He said whilst passing a jar filled with a strange-looking dark liquid. Chuckling, Thomas took the jar looking at Newt with a quizzical expression. He took a sip but immediately spat it out, his face screwing up with disgust. Newt laughed at him, his eyes lighting up as he watched Thomas. I took it from Thomas, curious as to what on earth this stuff was, and took a sip.

 It burned my throat and mouth but in a good way. I chugged a few gulps before handing it back to Newt wiping my lips on the back of my hand, smiling at Thomas who was still coughing.

 "Oh god, what is that stuff?" Thomas spluttered.

 "I don't even know." Newts said with a smile, "Way to go, Antonia, drinking it. Thomas on the other hand, not so much. Most greenies don't like it at first." Newt said laughing. "Tastes good," I replied and laughed with him.

 "It's Gally's recipe, it's a trade secret." He said looking back across the campfire, Thomas and I looked back too, and we saw Gally who was wrestling with another boy in a circle drawn in the sand. 

"Yeah well he's still an asshole," Thomas muttered, a scowl on his face. I smacked him behind his head again. 

"He saved me from passing out so you don't say a word." I scolded him. Thomas rubbed the back of his head while Newt started laughing at his dramatic reaction.

"He saved your life today," Newt said after he calmed down a bit. "Trust me, the maze is a dangerous place," Newt thoughtfully added while taking a gulp of the drink.

 "We're trapped here, aren't we?" Thomas asked despondently.

"For now. But, you see those guys?" Newt replied, pointing to Minho and the group he was eating with, "Those are the runners, and Minho there is the keeper of the runners. Every day when those doors open, they run into the maze and memorize it, map it, trying to find a way out."

"How long have they been looking?" I questioned. 

"Three years," Newt replied solemnly. 

"And they haven't found anything?" Thomas questioned. 

"It's a lot easier said than done. Listen," Newt said and all three of us quietened down to hear. You could faintly hear concrete rubbing against concrete and metal grinding. "That's the Maze. Changing. It changes every night." Newt said.

 "How's that even possible?" I answered. 

"Listen, the truth is, the runners, are the only ones who know what's really out there. They are the strongest and fastest of us all, and that's a good thing too because if they don't make it past those walls when the doors close, they are stuck out there for the night. And no one has ever survived a night in the maze." Newt said flatly.