Newt's secret

TW Self harm, blood

also, early update :))))

please vote, thank you to everyone who already has x

When everyone woke up, no one could find me. Soon though Newt saw me, huddled against the wall. Blood everywhere, most of it dried. My arms and thigs a mess of oozing and dried blood. "Oh my god.." He started. Soon Thomas and Minho were all at my side trying to get me to talk to them. I said nothing, just let the tears fall. Newt stood a bit behind with an unreadable expression. It was scared, sympathetic, understanding in a way yet guarded. It was weird.

"Antonia..." Thomas kept saying. He had tears running down his face which I brushed away for him. "Hey, don't cry." I croaked out, my voice hoarse from all the crying. "I'm fine. Let's get ready." I suggested knowing full well I was not ok, but I hated seeing my brother cry. "You aren't ok.." He started but I cut him off telling him I'm fine. I got up and started putting on my clothes, wincing when a piece of material touch one of my cuts.

A while later, we were escorted back to the cafeteria. Thomas tried to change the subject and told us how the kid named Aris came and showed him a private room. Janson came in a while later, repeating the same process from yesterday, and Thomas wouldn't let it drop about the room. I ate a little bit of food, but only a couple of bites before I didn't feel like it anymore. I saw Minho and Thomas looked at me sadly before going back to what they were talking about.

When Janson left, Thomas stood up and stormed over to the guards. "What's he doing this time?" I questioned and stood up, but stayed in the same spot. Before Thomas could get out, the guard stopped him. Thomas looked like he was coming back but quickly raced back to the door. The guards both grabbed him and yelled at him. I quickly ran up there with Minho and the other gladers following. Thomas shoved the guard before I grabbed his arm and pulled him back. I might not eat that much anymore, but I'm still strong. That's not going away. The guard and Thomas both yelled at each other before Janson came running back up.

"What's happening here?" He yelled as he pushed the guard away. He said something to Thomas before saying, "Get them to their bunks.", after Thomas replied to him. The guards escorted us to our room and then shoved us in. "What the hell was that about?" I asked Thomas. "You really think they were just going to let you through?" Newt said. "No. I didn't. I'm going to find out what's on the other side of that door." Thomas said and pulled out a keycard that the men use to open doors. "They're hiding something. Okay? These people aren't who they say they are." Thomas added. "No. Thomas! You don't know that. The only thing that we do know is that they helped rescue us from wicked. They gave us new clothes, food, a proper bed. Some of us haven't had that in a long time. Some of us a lot longer than others." Newt said to Thomas.

Just then, a vent slid out from under Thomas's bed. We all looked just as Aris came out. "Hey, Thomas." He said. "What the?" I questioned. "Who is this kid?" Frypan asked. "You got the key?" Aris asked Thomas. "Ya. Let's go. Maybe you guys are right. Maybe I'm just paranoid. But I have to find out for sure. Just cover for me. I'll be back as soon as I can." Thomas replied before putting the thing in his pocket and sliding into the vent after Aris. "Klunk." I said and stood up. I walked over to my bed and sat with my back against the wall. Frypan and Winston did the same on their bed, but Minho walked around nervously. Newt came and sat by me on my bed. "Don't stress. Thomas will be fine." Newt told everyone but directed it more to me. "Oh, I'm not worried about him getting hurt. I'm worried about what he's going to do with what he finds out." I replied. No one else said anything after that. Newt grabbed my hands and held them. I looked at him and saw his eyes full of tears. "Antonia, I may not understand everything you are going threw but I understand some of it. Trust me, cutting is not the answer. I know you may think it is and it helps in the short term but honestly, you need to stop." He said. I was confused- how did he know anything about what I was going through.

He looked at my face before he rolled up his own sleeves and I saw scars crisscrossing their way up his arms. I looked at him with sadness. "I'm sorr.." I started he cut me off. "it's fine. Just take my advice ok? It gets easier. And um please don't tell Thomas." I nodded my head, "Of course I won't." I promised and he hugged me and we just stayed like that for a while. Just sat there comforted by each other but not enough to fight off the pain we both felt. He helped me clean the cuts before we just sat back on a bed and waited.