stupid steve

"No way." I heard a boy say. They all quickly turned their heads. "Yeah!" Chuck yelled. The boys started coming back just as we got there. They helped us get Alby out of our hands and laid him down. I fell, like literally fell, into Gally's arms. He held me tight as we were crouched on the floor next to Alby. "Never do that again. Never leave me again." He told me as he cried into my hair. "Never." I replied. He pulled his face out of my hair and kissed me. We only stayed like that for a second before Minho and I were bombarded with questions. We pulled away before Thomas hugged me, even though I was in Gally's arms, Newt's hug came next.

I hugged him back before I figured we should answer some questions. "You saw a griever." Chuck said. It was more of a statement than a question, but I still answered. "Ya, we saw one," I told them. "She didn't just see it, she killed it," Minho added. Everybody went quiet as they examined me as if I was a robot. They soon got over it, and they called a meeting.

Everyone came, and I sat on a bucket in the back with Thomas who had an arm over my shoulder as if he let go, I would leave again. No one had noticed the blood, and I didn't feel the need to tell anyone. "Things are changing. There's no doubt in that. Ben gets stung in broad daylight, and then Alby. And now Antonia has gone into the maze and survived a night with Minho." Gally said. "Which is a clear violation of our rules here." Another boy cut in. Gally backed up closer to me in a protective way. "Ya, but she saved Alby's life," Frypan replied. "Did she?" The boy asked. Gally took another step towards me. "For three years, we've co-existed with these things. And now, you've killed one of them." The boy said and pointed at me. With each word, Gally got closer to me and is now by my side. "Who knows what that could mean for us." The boy added.

"Well, what do you suggest we do Steve." Newt asked. (A/N- I'm not making Gally the bad guy obviously, so I just made up a bad guy, and I don't know if Steve is an actual glader but who cares.) "She has to be punished," Steve said. "No." Gally replied firmly. The gladers all started arguing, some agreeing and some not. "Minho, you were there with her, what do you think?" Newt asked Minho. We all looked towards him. Minho looked at everyone else and then me before looking back at Newt and Steve. "I think, in all the time we have been here, no one's ever killed a griever before. When I turned tail and ran, this dumb shank," Minho said and pointed to me. "Stood behind to help Alby. Look, I don't know if she's brave, or stupid. But whatever it is, we need more of it. I say we make her a runner." Minho said. Everyone went crazy. I just sat there smiling, but I didn't want to become a runner without Thomas. I knew he wanted it more than me anyway.

"If you want to throw the newbie a parade that's fine. Go ahead. But if there is one thing I know about the maze it is that you do not-." Steve started but got cut off by an alarm. I recognized it. It's the same one that was blaring when we came up. That's weird though, it hasn't been a month yet. I looked at Gally before quickly standing up and running with him to the box. Me and him got there first since we got out first. Newt was there shortly after along with Thomas. Gally and I pulled open the lid while Newt jumped down.

"Newt what do you see?" Frypan asked. Newt looked up with a confused face. "It's another girl." They all went quiet and looked at me. "What?" I asked. They quickly looked away and looked back in the box. The girl was pretty, with brown hair and a tanish complexion. She wasn't moving though. "I think she's dead." Minho said. "What's in her hand?" Gally asked. Newt bent down and grabbed a small piece of paper out. "She's the last one ever." He said and looked up at us with a scared face. "What the hell does that mean?" He asked. Just then, the girl jumped up and breathed heavily. We all jumped back a bit. "Thomas. Antonia." She whispered before passing out again. They all looked at me and Thomas questionably. I looked at Thomas before I shrugged. "You still think I'm overreacting?" Steve asked. I rolled my eyes.