Chapter 13

"Princess Ning Jing. Is she his first love? That's why he didn't date because he couldn't moved on?" She talk to herself while eating.

Gu Mama forced her to get out from the chamber for her breakfast. So Xu Ling Ai had to change into normal robes again.

"But why do I care? That's his personal life. I shouldn't get involved." Xu Ling Ai decided to end her investigation and just let Li Zhao do whatever he wants.

While devouring her breakfast, she was wondering did he not take breakfast. Xu Ling Ai were quite surprised that he had went to his study room in the morning. That was why she did not bump into him.

Getting some air around the backyard, she saw a bunch of servant were still there. It was the sound and command that she had heard.

"What are you doing?" Xu Ling Ai couldn't help but to ask the people who had been carrying water with basins.

"Greeting Princess Consort. We're currently emptying the lake. His Highness told us to." One of the servants quickly bow to Xu Ling Ai.

"Why? What about the fish?" Xu Ling Ai frown at the thought of the fish being thrown away.

'Why would he do this? Thought he is only cold to human being but he is also indifferent towards...' Suddenly realisation dawn on her.

He still think that she is going to kill herself. Oh my goodness! This is so embarrassing. Li Zhao literally got the wrong idea.

Departing to his location immediately, she was informed that Li Zhao is in his study hall.

"Your Highness! I already told you that I did not try to suicide." Xu Ling Ai barged into the hall even though the guards told her that Li Zhao is busy.

"Oops.. I am very sorry for disturbing all of you gentlemen. Enjoy your time." She was very surprised when she saw several men inside the room.

"This lady will take her leave first." Her tone turn soft and polite in an instant. Xu Ling Ai turn around slowly feeling nervous as all eyes fell on her.

"All of you can leave first except this lord's Princess Consort." She was about to land a step but Li Zhao's deep threatening voice startled her.

Everyone started to leave in hurry. While Xu Ling Ai still couldn't move on her space. She don't know whether to leave or to talk to him just like she planned earlier.

"What are you doing here?" Goosebumps starts to gather on her arms when she heard his cold voice.

She is not afraid of him but sometimes he had this murderous aura that made her shiver.

"Your Highness. You see- I didn't know that you have guests. I am very very sorry for that. I don't want you to get misunderstood so I was trying to tell you that I didn't suicide. I can't explain it properly to you but that's the truth. So you can stop the emptying lake activity." After blurting out such a long sentence, she finally let out the breath that she did not realise that she had been holding on.

"Someone who don't know how to swim yet jump into a deep river without hesitation. What was it call if it's not suicide? Were you sightseeing inside the river?" Li Zhao said to her casually but in a sarcastic tone.

His gaze fell on her hair. People who did not witness the scene that she serve yesterday, won't be able to tell that she cut her hair as it was tied up properly.

"I already explained to you and if you don't believe it then it's up to you, Your Highness." She mocked him by pressing his title.

"Also can you please stop being a jerk? You jerk!" Xu Ling Ai sprint out of the room before he could say anything. She felt so frustrating talking to him. And his annoying cold treatment towards her worsened it.

"Jerk?" Li Zhao were taken back by her sudden outburst and he only catch one word.

Luoyang Capital

"Have you heard about His Highness Duke Su's Princess Consort try to kill herself?"

"Really? I just knew this will happen. Even the misfortune miss couldn't bear his cruelty."

"I was surprised that the Princess Consort still alive till today. How much pain did she have to endure that she tried to suicide?"

"Yes poor her! That's why we have never seen her till now! His highness have been abusing her in that hell of his manor!"

Countless of assumptions go around the country. Rumour of Xu Ling Ai try to kill herself spread like a wildfire within three days.

Like fuel pour into fire, the people spread more groundless rumour about Li Zhao abusing Xu Ling Ai. Li Zhao was known for his merciless character so they accuse that he use violence against her.

Even the imperial family have heard the rumours but His Majesty command them not to talk about it. The emperor don't want Li Zhao to hear about it.

However, Li Zhao was the earliest one to know about the news. But he got no intention on taking it down.

They always regard him as monster despite him taking care of the country. Just because of one reason. His masks.

"Zhao Er. Have you think of a solution? The news had even spread across our country. Zhen don't want your reputation to get even dirtier." At first, the emperor was thinking to just avoid the rumours.

But it was getting bigger. They even want Li Zhao to step down from his post. The people said that he didn't deserve to become a general if he couldn't even take care of his own wife.

"Let them talk." He doesn't care what others think about him. He and Wu Xi left the palace right away.

"Your Highness you really want to let them assuming things that didn't happen?" Wu Xi asked when they are out of the palace.

Li Zhao hummed as an answer. He then notice Wu Xi was walking unbalanced. Sometimes Wu Xi pat her chest.

"What happen to you?" Li Zhao question with a flat tone. He is the type who never show that he is worried.

"Your Highness how could you ask that after using your martial arts on me?" Wu Xi accidentally raise his tone. His body was hurting everywhere after fall down.

Li Zhao then remember about yesterday event. He accidentally used full power on Wu Xi to prevent him from seeing Xu Ling Ai's improper state.

"Go and check at a physician. And don't let any guards especially men near Xu Ling Ai's chamber." Li Zhao instructed.

"Your Highness you are not fair. I want an answer. Why are you so protective of Princess Consort? Did you perhaps...?" Wu Xi tease her master. These days his master did not seem too stern like before.

"Stop talking nonsense." Li Zhao left Wu Xi who chuckle continuously.

Duke Su Manor

Xu Ling Ai reminiscing their last argument two days ago. She had been avoiding him.

She feel like he just don't like her. So she want to make him feel like she won't become any disturbance to him.

Xu Ling Ai will live in the manor just like an invisible person. She will make sure that he feels comfortable and she also feel at ease.

Confronting him will only led her to losing because she lived on his generosity.

"We just couldn't fit each other." Sighing heavily.

She know she is being shameless but she don't have money to get out from the manor. So she will use the title as his Princess Consort for awhile.

Whenever they bump into each other, Xu Ling Ai couldn't even look at him in the eyes.

She just walk pass him like he is nothing. She feel somehow nervous under his eyes.

Every single day, she convinces herself that he is just a man with perfect figure and features without any feelings.

P.S.
They fought.

VOTE and COMMENT if you like this chapter!

Thanks! 💖 - R