Chapter 10

"So hot!" Xu Ling Ai keep fanning herself using her hands. It was probably afternoon but she didn't know how to predict the actual time.

She only knew day, evening and night. If it was in the modern world she would have turn on the air condition but now it is not the same.

The sun was burning like crazy. Anyone stand in the middle of the road will get burn for sure. She craves for something cold.

"Gu Mama!" Heading to the kitchen, she saw several servant who cooked and cleaning.

Her presence in the kitchen turning down the voice in the kitchen. All of them look at her like she is some kind of witch.

"Princess Consort." The head cook greet Xu Ling Ai and followed by others. However, they did not continue their work but continued looking at Xu Ling Ai.

"I guess Gu Mama is not here right? Then I will take my leave first." Xu Ling Ai slowly take a step backwards. She feel stares from every angle.

"Princess Consort! Do you need anything?" Gu Mama suddenly appears behind her. She is holding a bowl of tomatoes.

Gu Mama look at her weirdly. No one has ever enter the kitchen except the servants. So everyone was like threading on thin ice.

"Gu Mama! You are finally here. I found her." Xu Ling Ai fake grinning to the servant and then at Gu Mama.

"Why are they looking at me like that? Did I do something wrong?" Xu Ling Ai whispered at Gu Mama quite loud.

"All of you can continue your job." Gu Mama command them and they begin to continue their routine. Sounds of pot make Xu Ling Ai let out a sigh.

"They are not used to superior checking on them." Gu Mama explain shortly.

"Me? A superior? Pfftt don't flatter me Gu Mama. I'm just living here eat and sleep for free just like anyone else." Xu Ling Ai denied it and she suddenly remembered her intention looking fo Gu Mama.

"Also I don't know how to cook but don't tell anyone." She smile sheepishly.

Gu Mama shook her head at her revelation. How can someone be so proud telling someone they couldn't cook.

Xu Ling Ai suddenly walk too near Gu Mama and led her head to Gu Mama's ear. She is afraid she will embarrassed herself so might as well let Gu Mama only know.

"Gu Mama perhaps is there any way to get a cold drink here? Or probably any ice?" She swing her hand left and right awkwardly.

When she learn about history subjects before, her teacher had told the students that refrigerator exist in ancient era.

Ancient people made ice during winter, they stored it in ice houses, and during summer they used "fridges" which were made by copper to get wine and cold drink.

Later they also used find woods to make fridges. There are two holes in the fridge, so it cools down air in the same time when it cools down the food.

But she is afraid she might remember it wrong so she wanted a confirmation from Gu Mama. If she was wrong, she will definitely look odd and stupid as hell.

"Of course there is. We keep them here." Putting down the tomatoes on the table, Gu Mama then led Xu Ling Ai into a small room just like a store of food supplies.

As soon as her eyes fell on the fridge alike, her eyes shine so bright fill with emotional tears. She finally found it. A treasure that is priceless.

"Holy Moly!" Xu Ling Ai ran towards the fridge dramatically and then hug it tightly like it was some gold.

It was huge compared to the normal people's one. Of course it is because Li Zhao is a prince and he gets the specialty.

"Princess Consort! It is dirty! Get up." Gu Mama rushing to drag her away.

"Gu Mama you will never know how much this copper means to me." She fake wiping tears from her face. There's no tears actually. She is just pretending to show how much happy she is.

Lifting the copper lid, Gu Mama hurriedly help her. Inside it different kind of drink and wine in it. Some block of ice also can be seen. It was pure heaven.

Without wasting any time, Xu Ling Ai grab one block of ice. She wanted to make a fresh drink that can be shared with all of them.

"What are you going to do with it Princess Consort?" Gu Mama look at her barely holding onto the huge ice.

"Cold drink of course." Xu Ling Ai smirk at Gu Mama.

"But the amount is too much for you." Gu Mama don't want to waste the ice as it was hard to store it.

"Of course it is not for me alone. For everyone in the manor. Such a hot day, we need to cool down a bit! Don't you think so Gu Mama?" She respond at Gu Mama in a sassy way. A servant then help Xu Ling Ai to break the ice.

"But.. We store it only for His Highness and important guest. This old woman don't think this is right. Princess Consort how about you make only for yourself?" Gu Mama Sticking to Xu Ling Ai like glue.

"I will take responsibility if His Highness ask. I don't think he will be so petty about a block of ice."

On the other hand, Xu Ling Ai walk to the basket of tomatoes that Gu Mama bring earlier. Picking one of them, she press it a bit.

The tomato were very ripe and it can be eaten just like that. So she decided to make tomato juice. Chopping it roughly, she then ask for the cooker help to pounce it in a huge bowl.

When the tomato were totally squashed into a small pieces and juices started coming out. She pick the white fabric that ancient people use to separate the juice and tomato leftover.

"Princess Consort where should I put this ice?" A cook handing the ice that had break into a small block of ices.

"Let it be inside the bowl." She instructed him and thanked him for his service. Since they got no huge jug so she use the huge bowl.

Grabbing a spoon, she then taste the juices. It taste like tomato and healthy. Because she loves sugar, she added some sugar to increase the flavour. Finally, she pour the juice inside the ice.

"It's done!" Xu Ling Ai grab a ladle and pour the juice into a small cup. Gulping onto it like her life depends on it.

"Ha! This is so satisfying." She let out a relief sigh.

However, no one get near to her. They only look at the juice. For them tomatoes is for cooking not for drinking. It's weird looking at their Princess Consort making odd beverage.

"Taste it first then you know it." Xu Ling Ai raising her eyebrow up and down while encouraging them to try.

She might not be a professional in cooking but she do know how to make beverages as she had work as a part time barista before.

Xu Ling Ai help them to pour the drink when she saw them hesitant. They were hesitant between her identity as a princess consort and weird drink.

"Princess Consort this is so refreshing!" An elder cook who is the head there exclaimed. At first, he thought that Xu Ling Ai is a very arrogant and almighty lady.

But her humbleness made him let down his guard. She is not like what they thought. The other cooks follow their head chef step and grab some drinks.

"Told you!" Xu Ling Ai wink at them feeling a bit proud.

Gu Mama also taste it and she praise Xu Ling Ai. Even since Xu Ling Ai arrive in Duke Su Manor. She never failed to surprise Gu Mama.

"Share it with others. Make sure everyone drink it. It is important to stay hydrated during this kind of weather." Xu Ling Ai quickly prepare it for other servants who is outside.

P.S.
I don't want to focus on the main character only so I added some different side of her new life here.

VOTE and COMMENT if you like this chapter!

Thanks! 💖 - R