Chapter 34

One Month Later

After the last incident of the murdering case, the country turn back to normal. The case was closed due to the murderer died.

Emperor Wu announced to the country about the terrifying inhumane person had died. However, until this day, they don't know about the whole vampire thing.

Li Zhao kept his mouth close. So do Xu Ling Ai due to Li Zhao's request. Even if they tell the the truth, no one will trust it until one saw it.

Also it will be dangerous because the main perpetrator is still out there. It will alert them to stay hidden so Xu Ling Ai decided to keep the secret.

They had decided to work together since they are the only who know the real identity of the man. Even Li Zhi Ming and Li Jun Yi unaware of this matter.

These days, Xu Ling Ai has been working to find a clue about the human poison vampire thing. Her room had turn into a lab with Li Zhao's help.

It was near midnight but she still wide awake in a room lighten up. Another figure accompany her. It was Li Zhao.

"Failed again." She sighed looking at the result of the poison she tried to make.

It was very difficult for her to figure it out since there is no such poison in the modern world. The fact that the poison also a legend made it even harder.

Li Zhao had gave her a book where it contains a lot of different way to produce poisons. One of it was the human vampire poison.

He got the book from his mother's previous royal physician. Not knowing how to make use of it, he only place it in his private study room.

In the book might shows on how to produce the poison but did not state the antidote. That is why he never use it until Xu Ling Ai came and asked for it.

"I lack one of the substance of the most important substance which is Gold Silkworm."

Gold silkworm is a very strong based poison. The traditional preparation to make it involves several kind of venomous creature.

Xu Ling Ai had try to replace it by another high toxin poison but failed. The main reason she try to produce the poison is to proves that the poison exist and someone out there is practicing it illegally.

"I will try to find it." Li Zhao respond.

Their relationship has been getting better. No more childish quarrels. They starting to become like a friends. 

"Sure then. We will try again later." Xu Ling Ai smile dispirited.

"I literally forgot about it! Tomorrow is your brother and my stepsister's nuptials!" She just remembered about it.

Their marriage was announced right after the case was closed. The main motive is to ease people's heart about the murdering case.

Royal decree passed down by the emperor instantly. Thankfully, it worked. That news literally blew up in the country and the people's attention instantly turn to the new couple.

One is the mighty prince while the other one is the most intelligent and graceful lady in Han. They celebrate for the huge event since Li Jun Yi is the first son of Emperor Wu.

As sisters, Xu Ling Ai was supposed to help the bride in Xu Manor but Xu Family never once invite her. So she did not give any help.

"Go and rest. We need to attend the wedding tomorrow." Li Zhao said and place his hands on her head as if telling her she did a great job.

It wasn't the first time he did that but until this day she blushed whenever he did that. When he first did that, she literally had a freaking zoo of butterflies.

Xu Ling Ai wanted to ask him why he did that but she don't want to make it awkward. The most important thing is she started to develop some kind of feeling for him.

'Don't look at his handsome face and I'll be fine.' She mentally remind herself.

"Your Highness also rest." She curse herself for stammering.

Just like that, she had an a very restless night.

Duke Chen Li Jun Yi's Wedding Day

Xu Ling Ai look at herself in the mirror. This morning she woke up with a huge eyebag.

Thank god, she could fixed it with some ancient powder. Or Li Zhao might see it.

Today, she is wearing a peach colour robe. Gu Mama told her that guests should not wear an outfit that can outshine the bride.

"Good morning." She greet Li Zhao as soon as she gets on the carriage.

"Morning. Did you sleep well?" He asked.

Xu Ling Ai then remember back then when it was their first day as husband and wife. Back then awkwardness filled the carriage and he also refuse to have conversation with her.

But today, he actually question her first. It was quite surprised. She settled herself sitting beside him.

"Yes." She lied obviously.

Xu Ling Ai look at him up and down. Today he is wearing his imperiali family attire. He look different from his usual self. Clothes make the man.

"You look great today." She accidentally praise him.

Xu Ling Ai has completely feel comfortable with his masks. Before this, she might avoid looking him at face as she is afraid it might offend him if she look at his masks.

But now she feels like the masks actually made him look more hunky and attractive. Of course, she do feel curious what's hiding behind me it but she will never cross the boundaries.

He stay silent for a minute before he respond to her. She look somehow ravishing despite wearing a normal outfits.

"You look pretty as always." That wasn't what she was expecting.

Xu Ling Ai was expecting him to reply with usual answer which is "You too". But he said something else. He actually admit that she is pretty.

Compared between someone else saying she is beautiful with him saying it was something entirely apart. She feels like she is getting some kind of prize.

"Err thank you. Anyway, will we arrive on time? I don't want to miss it." Xu Ling Ai instantly change the topic to avoid her heart beating fast.

"Yes. Are you excited about their wedding?" Li Zhao question looking at her eager eyes.

"It's just that I haven't attend a real traditional wedding banquet with lots of families around." Xu Ling Ai honestly said.

She wanted to witness the real on how ancient people celebrate it. Even her own wedding was small without any celebration so she wanted to explore the real deal.

But she didn't realize her words brings dead silence. Looking at him weirdly, she remembers what she had said affect him.

"W-what am I even talking about? I did not mean that way. I was just genuinely excited about people, foods, scenery and all that. Don't take it to heart." Xu Ling Ai nervously try to correct herself.

Li Zhao genuinely felt guilty because he is the one who insist not to have proper wedding. He thought the marriage would have end right there and then when he decided to kill the bride.

But changes happen and he is still married to the girl he is about to kill that day. He never thought about the her feeling. She was also force yet she did not force him to throw a banquet or anything.

P.S.
Are you looking forward to their relationship?

VOTE and COMMENT if you like this chapter!

Thanks! 💖 - R