Chapter 51

Striding straight into her chamber with a heavy clouded mind, Xu Ling Ai change her clothes into the modern nightie robe that she had sew before preparing to sleep.

Laying down on her side carefully and not putting any pressure on her back. She grab a pillow and hug it close.

Staring at the plain wall for god knows how long, unknowingly a tears slipped off her eyes. That strong and determined eyes had finally shed a tears. The dam that she had been holding for a long time finally broke down.

She cried for what happen, she cried for not being able to protect and to fight for herself, she cried for putting her friend in danger. Most importantly, she cried because Li Zhao is not there when she needed him the most.

Could only wish that he will be alright, but none of it ease her heart and mind. Xu Ling Ai is afraid he might not come back to her. That he might go back to his old cold-self.

"Come back. I need you." That was her last thoughts before she forced herself to drifted off to sleep accompanied by gloominess.

Duke Su manor were literally in utter silence. No one dare to make any noise even the smallest one. They can feel the solemn moment when Xu Ling Ai step into her chamber and never come out.

Time seems to be moving so slow, midnight finally came by. The one and only occupied chamber with some light inside it had no movement at all except Xu Ling Ai's small breathing can be heard.

Suddenly, a squeak sound of the door make a noise. It was him. He finally had the courage to see her. But Li Zhao did not proceed to approach her instead he look at her for a minute.

Her curling up state hugging the pillow might look cute but in this situation, he saw nothing but the pain he had caused her.

His eyes fell on her nightie shirt that had accidentally slid off her waist and clearly shows the mark that he had made on her earlier.

He will gladly accept any punishments that she decided on him. But the only thing he is afraid is she might want to leave him.

His eyes turn reddish as he notice the dry tears stained her pale cheek. However, this time it wasn't the anger red eyes he always had, rather it was a red eyes where one wanted to shed tears.

He realized that he do not deserve her and never will. A beast will never become a human like in the fairytale.

Possessing her as his will only caused her pain but letting her go would mean he is killing himself indirectly. He knew he will never be the same without her.

Immersed in assessing the bruise that he didn't notice that she had already woken up.

Xu Ling Ai's eyes welled up with emotional tears again. His eyes which filled with guilt and remorse make her feel nothing but pain. The cold and stoic face clearly blamed himself for everything.

"Are you okay?" She asked while fixing her shirt to cover her waist.

Li Zhao avert his eyes looking at hers with a dead serious gaze.

"I should be the one who asked you. I hurt you." He muttered with eyes getting redder. He couldn't even remember when was the last time he cried.

"You didn't mean it. You're just trying to protect me." Xu Ling Ai sit up trying to reach him. She felt a pang of sadness as he expressed his regrets. She knew he will never hurt her intentionally.

Looking at his unmoved statue, she try to convince him. While cupping his face, she said. "Look I'm fine. It will heal in no time."

"My strength is way above a normal human, yet I used on you. Li Jun Yi was right. I am a monster. I could never be gentle and normal. I don't deserve you.." His voice were slightly hoarse the whole time he is speaking. Sometimes, it was as if he is choking through his words.