2 ~ Real Life

The bad news is time flies
The good news is you're the pilot

"I hate life, I hate life, I hate life, I hate life..." I mumble over and over taking the clothes out of my closet.

"Charm! Just get the maid to do it," Carmen says.

"Get out! I'll do it myself," I continue taking clothes off their hangers and throwing it in a pile. "Stupid, stupid, stupid," I mutter.

"CHARM! We needed to leave five minutes ago to make it to school. Let's go!" Carmen shouts at me. She dangles the car keys in front of my face showing she's ready to go. I drop the clothes in my hands, realizing I'm still in my pajamas. Dark blue plaid pajama pants and a black bralette.

"We aren't going to be late!" I pick up the first thing off the floor as I take the keys from Carmen's hands and run out of my room.

"YOU ARE NOT DRIVING!" Carmen screams as I run down the stairs. I ignore her rushing to the garage and jump in the front seat of the Mercedes. She pulls open on the door handle but it's too late. I locked my door. Eventually after screaming and yelling she walks around to the passenger seat. She throws her backpack in the back and buckles her seatbelt.

"Hold on tight," I smirk, whipping out of the garage and driveway. Carmen's hands go flying before gripping the side of the door.

"Charm I swear you better drive normally," she whines. I sigh dramatically and smoothly pull out on the street. As we drive I realize we are going to be late.

I keep slowly speeding up past the speed limit and swerving between cars.

"Two hands on the wheel at least if you're going to speed," Carmen complains.

"Carmen do you ever shut up and have fun. You're in the mafia for fuck sakes," I roll my eyes continuing to speed with one hand down the street.

"Yes but only on missions. In real life, I follow real rules," she explains.

"This is real life! Our lives as mafia heirs, this isn't some dream," I make a sharp right turn, making Carmen shift a bit.

"Shit, slow down," she curses. "You know what I mean CK, outside the mafia I act like a regular non-mafia person."

"And why's that? You can't escape it so why hide it," I make another softer left turn this time causing Carmen to slam into the door.

I took driving lessons this summer. With actual street racers and race car drivers. The most fun I've ever had training.

"CK!" Carmen shouts.

"Sorry," I whisper. I didn't think she'd slam straight into the door.

"Look I told you this here," she points to the school in front of us as I park in the old handicap parking spot. It's marked over with my name now. "Means I'm a highschool student. Over there," she points behind us referring to the mafia. "Soon to be leader," she explains and I laugh.

Okay, soon to be a leader. We all know I'm heir and I'm gaining the fucking mafia title. I have the skills and everything. Except certain things my father has mentioned but those aren't important.

I grab the shirt I picked up and hold it out in front of me. A plain white zip-up hoodie. I throw it over my bralette and zip it up not wanting to be dress coded. I get out of the car and run to class right before the bell.

As soon as the bell goes I enter the class. I smile at Mr. Lenard hoping he doesn't give me detention. He gestures towards the class and I let out a breath of relief walking towards my seat.