32 ~ Lies and Secrets

One lie is enough to question all truths

"What is the PURPOSE!" I hear Marcello yell. I continue walking down the hall until I reach the door. I lean my ear against the wood, eavesdropping.

"Marry her, gain both mafias," I hear Chase's voice.

"And," Marcello says. Why are they arguing? I thought Chase just had another meeting.

"Look, I don't like her. I have to show some interest to convince her. Gain her trust once more. I'm just messing with her. You want both mafias and I'm going to get them. So get off my case. I know the plan," Chase replies.

He's messing with me? Wrong fucking move. I hear footsteps and quickly sprint away from the door. I head up the stairs but with my luck, I trip hitting my face on one of the steps. "Shit," I curse at the pain.

"Luck?" I hear.

"Fuck. Yeah," I mumble holding my nose. Warm liquid drips all over my hands. Just great.

"Shit babe, what happened?" Chase runs over to me as I coddle my nose.

"You know. I fell walking down the stairs. I was coming to see if you were finished but apparently the steps had different plans," I lie. I can lie too.

"Klutz. I'm done now. Here I'll help you," Chase lifts me up by my waist and onto my feet. I still continue to hold my nose as we walk to the bathroom.

"You think it's broken," I ask.

"Nah. I think you'll be okay. After some lessons on how to use the stairs," Chase teases. I roll my eyes taking the tissue from his hand.

"I'll get you some ice. Give me a second," Chase runs out of the bathroom and I hold my nose back. When Chase returns he helps me clean up my nose and ice it.

How can he be so caring and helpful? When it's all a lie.

•••

"And that's that," I breathe out.

"Fucking dickhead," Tristan curses.

"I'll kill him," Dylan threatens.

"I'll help," Zach adds.

"Guys it's fine. Don't even stress," I assure, throwing my legs on the table. I had just finished explaining to them what had happened and the conversation I overheard.

"You have a plan don't you," Dylan smirks.

"How do you always know," I ask.

"Because when something goes wrong and you're like "don't even stress" you have a plan," Tristan states mocking a high girly voice.

"Firstly, I don't sound like that. Secondly, I need help with science," I reach into my backpack pulling out my latest test.

"A C?!" Zach exclaims, grabbing my paper.

"I know. I know," I groan running my hands through my hair.

"I'll help you study," Dylan offers. I send him a thankful smile as Tristan begins talking.

"You're a straight A student. You've literally never gotten anything lower than an A-," Tristan points out.

"I know. But we've been on so many missions and getting shot and my ankle. I got a doctor's note and she's letting me retake the test," I explain.

"CHARM!" My test is snatched from Zach's hands into Carmen's. Great. Note the sarcasm. She's standing wide-eyed next to Jenny. They haven't sat with us the past few weeks.