30 - I'll Catch You

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work

"I'm going," I determine.

"You can't drive and I'm not getting you a car. So good luck with that," Chase says. It's been a week and he still won't let me go visit my adoptive parents.

"I'll walk," I reply.

"And I'll take your crutches. Would you like to limp," Chase asks. I roll my eyes and let out a heavy breath.

"Just for five minutes. You can even come," I offer. Chase continues mopping the floor around me.

"I have to go down to the office and deal with my father today. I left you lunch in the fridge, I'll be back by dinner or earlier," Chase says. He grabs his car keys and phone before waving me goodbye.

One he leaves I throw the covers off me. You would think Chase has already learned his lesson about trying to keep me home. I can't be stopped. I wait around ten minutes before getting up once the floor dries.

I grab my crutches, a bottle of alcohol and my bag before making my way to the door. Once I reach the ground floor I use my phone to call for a taxi. Next thing I know, I'm on my way.

•••

I finally reached back "home." I walk up to the door using the crutches to assist me. I take in a deep breath before knocking at the door. It opens revealing Kelly and a mischievous smile forms on my lips.

"Charm!" Kelly exclaims, pulling me into a hug. I keep my hands by my side confused. 

"Uhh hi," I utter.

"Come on. Come in," she says, leading me inside. I follow her. "Would you like tea, I'd just made some," she offers. I mean it would be nice to pour boiling hot tea on her.

"No thanks," I reply. We walk into the living room and I sit down on a couch opposite from her. Next thing I know Ben walks in and sits down next to her.

"We are so glad to have you back," Ben welcomes.

"We missed you so much," Kelly coos. Why are they being so welcoming and gentle?

"I'm not back," I say slowly hoping they understand.

"W-what do you mean," Kelly begins to stutter.

"I've found my family and sister even though you said I wouldn't. My name was changed back to Charmainley Knight and I'm also engaged." I catch them up on my new life. Damn a lot has changed in the past few months.

"You aren't allowed. You're still 17 which means you're ours!" Kelly exclaims.

"Legally you aren't allowed back with your family either. They're dangerous, I'm calling the police," Ben leans over reaching for his phone on the coffee table. I quickly pull out my gun and cock it. He freezes at the sound.

"See this bad boy right here. A gift from my fiancé. Oh and this," I reach into my shirt pulling out my favourite red pocket knife. "My dad," I add. "Call the police and I'll be sure to have you both six feet under," I threaten. Ben pulls back, clearing his throat.

"So why are you here?" He asks with a change of tone in his voice. This time a frightened one.

"To gloat," I smile, getting up. I begin walking around freely. Well more like limping. My ankle is still pretty beat.

"You really thought I wouldn't come back to show you how wrong you were," I take my gun and shoot Kelly's favourite and most expensive vase. They both flinch at the sound of my gunshot.