1.3

We live out our lives on the surgical unit. Seven days a week, fourteen hours a day. We're together more than we're apart-

Evi is awakened by Izzie looking around her room. "Izzie what?-" she asks.

"George's room is bigger than mine." She says.

"So why are you in my room?"

"I'm seeing if you have a bigger closet then mine." She says. Evi nods tiredly and places her head back on the pillow, as Izzie leaves leaving the door slightly ajar.

After a while-

"I have more clothes, I should have the bigger room." Izzie complains to Meredith. "Or the smaller room with the bigger closet."

the ways of residency-

"I got here first." George shoots back.

Evi drags herself out of the bed and searches her closet for something to wear.

"It's Meredith's house, she should decide." Izzie says.

-become the ways of life.

"My room is like, two inches bigger than yours!" George exclaims.

Evi finishes dressing and goes into the bathroom to brush her teeth.

"You have a bigger closet!" Izzie retorts.

"So? Why is everything always a competition?"

Number one: always keep score.

Evi stands in the bathroom looking at her reflection hearing Izzie and George still arguing in the hall.

Number two: do whatever you can to outsmart the other guy.

"put your clothes somewhere else!" George says.

"Everywhere else is filled with Meredith's mom's boxes."

"Meredith? When is your mom coming back to town anyway? Because maybe we can put her boxes in storage."

Evi blinks once trying to wake herself up

"Or unpack a few things, make this place a little more homey. Maybe some throw pillows and lamps, a few paintings." Izzie says.

"Oh, paintings would be nice." George says.

"Yeah! You have all this amazing stuff just packed away. In the back hall, I found this box with like a hundred tapes of your mother performing these amazing medical procedures."

"Really? We should watch them. Meredith, you want to watch-" George gets cut off by Meredith's door slamming in his face.

"Meredith, do you want some privacy?" He asks as Evi emerges from the bathroom completely ready. She grabs a jacket from her room and grabs her purse from the floor before walking out of the door.

Number three? Don't make friends with the enemy.

•.•.•.•

"Fools on bikes killing themselves. Natural selection is what it is." Bailey says as the interns stand behind her.

Alex leans into Evi. "So what's up with the Nazi, is she off her meds?" He asks her quietly.

"You never heard of the race?" She says looking back at him slightly.

"Every year this bar-" George starts.

"The Dead Baby Bar." Evi interrupts.

"Every year, they hold this underground bike race." George finishes.