2.13

"God, holy, ow. I said down, back...IZZIE! IZZIE! Incoming!" George yells.

Izzie looks startled and moves to open the bathroom door and George runs in and they both slam the door shut.

Fresh starts. Thanks to the calendar, they happen every year.

Izzie hands George her coffee mug which he accepts gratefully.

Just set your watch to January.

Evi let's out a scream of horror when she opens her room door and gets jumped on by Doc.

"Down! Boy down!" She exclaims as she enters the bathroom slamming the door behind her.

"That dogs a demon." She says looking at George and Izzie. They only make noises of agreement.

"You know I'm thinking about coloring my hair. Maybe red." Izzie says.

"Yeah. Red's good. I'm thinking about cutting mine." George says.

"Maybe I should cut mines." Evi says.

"Yeah? You look good shorter." Izzie compliments the two of them.

George looks a little surprised. "You think?"

"Really?" Evi says.

The trio can now hear Meredith giving the dog compliments and the barking has stopped. They open the door tentatively and peek out.

"What a good dog. Who's mommy's good boy?" Meredith coo's.

They see Meredith patting and shaking the dog's paw. "Silly. Yes, I know. You're a good boy. You're such a good boy." They look absolutely amazed.

"What are you guys doing in there? We're going to be late." Meredith says.

"We need to talk about the dog." Evi says stepping out of the bathroom.

"That's not a dog. It's a hyena, escaped from the zoo dressed in dog clothing." Izzie says.

"Whatever! I don't chew up his clothes. I don't urinate on his bed. I don't try to mount him from behind!" George exclaims.

"People, he's our dog. We love our dog. He loves us." Meredith says. She continues patting and leaves. Doc turns and growls at Izzie, George, and Evi and then lets out a bark.

Izzie speaks apprehensively. "He tries to mount you from behind?"

"Tries to." Doc barks loudly and George whispers. "Tries to."

•.•.•.•

The chief is standing up on some stairs talking to a crowd of interns and doctors that are standing at the base of the stairs. Meredith walks up to the crowd and stands next to Alex and Evi who are also standing there.

"Listen up people. New Year, new rules or should I say New Year and we will be enforcing the rules mandated by the residency review committee. There were too many mistakes made last year." Alex looks down. "Fatigue played too big a role. Exceeding 80 hours per week will not be tolerated."

"Does that mean we actually get to have a life?" George asks.

"I think so." Evi says.

"Sullivan, you were on-call for 28 hours, leave when you hit 30. Grey you were here to 2am last night, see you at noon." Webber says.

"I get to go? Free time?" Meredith asks amazed. "Run before he changes his mind." Alex says. Meredith leaves.

"Oh and people our nurses are gonna have to work extra hours to compensate so treat them well. Cranky nurses don't do us any good." The chief finishes and the crowd disperses.