2.26 & 2.27

Human beings need a lot of things to feel alive. Family, Love, But we only need one thing to actually be alive.

We need a beating heart.

When our heart is threatened we respond in one of two ways. We either run...

Or...

Once a few nurses and Cristina come out to help they get Evi and Burke on stretchers.

"No- you work on Evi." Bailey instructs Cristina firmly.

Cristina runs over to Evi and a male nurse helps her on top of the gurney. She immediately starts CPR.

We attack.

There's a scientific term for this. Fight... Or flight. It's instinct. We can't control it.

"I-we need to get her to an OR she's bleeding out!" Cristina exclaims. A nurse puts a breathing mask on Evi's face but pulls it back when Evi coughs up blood.

"Bailey, go- get her into surgery." Richard says exiting the ER.

"Everything hurts." Evi groans.

"Evi, Evi? Can you hear me?" Cristina asks her.

Evi in response coughs up more blood.

"Yang, let's get her to the OR- ASAP." Bailey instructs pulling up the bars in Evi's gurney.

•.•\•.•

"The bullets penetrated some of her liver." Cristina says in the OR with Bailey.

"It looks repairable, although she'll only be left with part of her liver." Bailey says. "Alright, I think I've got it from here, Yang. Go call her family." Bailey tells Cristina.

Cristina nods and goes to scrub out.

•.•\•.•

"You fools better have a good explanation for this. Step away from the patient." Bailey says entering the doorway of Denny's room. Everyone steps back except for Izzie. "Step away from the patient."

"I can't. I have to pump his heart." Izzie says. Bailey notices the cut LVAD wire.

"Olivia, take over for Dr. Stevens. Izzie, you're done here. I need you to leave the room." Bailey instructs.

"Izzie-" Olivia tries.

"No! Do not touch me!" Izzie yells.

"Olivia, stay with Dr. Stevens. Help her if she'll let you. You three. Outside. Now! Where was rational thought? Where was cognitive thinking? First do no harm? The morals, the ethics? Where was sanity when you three decided to help that girl?" Bailey seethes.

"We didn't-" Meredith tries.

"No, no. No speaking. Nobody speaks. I do not want to have to testify against any of you in a court of law. Not one word. She cut his LVAD wire." Bailey says. George clears his throat. "Look, I said no speaking!"

"I didn't say anything!" George exclaims.

"Then no moving! Cristina. Did you call Evi's family?" Bailey asks Cristina.

"What happened to Evi?" George asks.

"While you fools were busy cutting LVADS and committing a crime-" Bailey cuts herself off and turns back to Cristina.

"Erm- yes I called them." Cristina says.

"Good, Burke is asking for you. Go! I'm assuming you ran labs? I'm asking a question." She sends Cristina off. "Answer me!"