Season 3 {3.01}

In the OR, time loses all meaning. In the midst of sutures and saving lives, the clock ceases to matter.

15 minutes. 15 hours. Inside the OR, the best surgeons make time fly.

Outside the OR however, time takes pleasure in kicking our asses. For even the strongest of us, it seems to play tricks. Slowing down, hovering...until it freezes, leaving us stuck in a moment, unable to move in one direction or the other.

"Izzie. Izzie come on!" Alex shouts through the bathroom door.

"Okay, she's been in there all night. We have to do something." George says.

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

"Yeah." They all say.

"Why are you all looking at me?" Meredith asks.

"Well this is familiar territory to you." Evi says.

"There is nothing familiar about this. Unfamiliar. Denny died. The man she loves died." Meredith says.

"Yeah, but you're all dark and twisty inside." Cristina says.

"Dark and twisty?"

"The mother with the Altzheimers thing, and the father that you don't talk to." Cristina lists.

"The tequila thing, and the inappropriate men thing..." Alex picks up.

"You are dark and twisty inside Meredith, and now Izzie is dark and twisty inside." Evi says.

"So now all the sudden I'm the president of people with crappy lives?" Meredith asks.

"Seriously we have to do something. Someone has to go in there." George says.

•.•\•.•

"Why are we making sandwiches again?" Evi asks.

"It's what you do when someone dies. You cook." Meredith says.

"Yeah. I know what to do when someone dies. I am a jew. I know food and death. It's Shivah." Cristina says.

"Is it Shivah even if she's Catholic?" Evi asks.

"Well Shivah's what I know how to do. So yeah. It's Shivah. And if we're sitting Shivah for Denny, then we should order in cause making sandwiches is not the same as cooking."

"Sandwiches are comfort food."

"What's wrong with you?"

"Everything with me is fine. It's Izzie we're worried about."

"What did you do?" Evi asks.

"Denny died. Burke and Evi got shot. Let's just have some perspective and remember that what is a tiny slightly small..."

"Whatever spit it out." Cristina says.

"I lost my panties last night." Meredith reveals.

Evi gapes at her. "You had sex with Derek in an exam room at the prom?"

"Yes."

"Last night, you and Shepherd did it?" Cristina asks.

"Yes."

"You and McDreamy did the nasty-nasty?" Evi says.

"Evi!"

"I'm just trying to wrap my mind around it. I mean you're with Finn. He's with Addison." Evi says.

"He's married to Addison."

"Yeah. Well what did Derek say?" Cristina asks.

"He said 'Meredith, what does this mean?'"