2.15

In surgery there is a red line on the floor that marks the point where the hospital goes from being accessible to being off limits to all but a special few. Crossing the line unauthorized is not tolerated.

There is a large group of nurses protesting having formed a picket line in front of the hospital. They are chanting 'Fair hours, fair wages!' They're also holding various signs protesting.

George and Izzie stand at the end of the picket line looking at it all.

"Can't. Can't, can't cross the picket line. I can't." George says as Evi walks up to the pair with Fletcher a little behind her.

"I don't like it either, George, but what choice to we have? Ok you took an oath to heal. You're a healer." Izzie says.

"Dad's a truck driver. Mom's a teacher. The evening news shows me crossing the picket line... they'll outlive me just to pee on my grave." George says.

Izzie gives George a weird look.

In general, lines are there for a reason.

Cristina walks up to them. "Has there been any blood yet? Heard they brought in scab nurses."

For safety. For security. For clarity.

"I think the nurses know that we are on their side." Evi says looking at the line.

"Don't cross the line!" The nurses yell.

"Don't they?" Izzie asks.

"Well we're doctors. We have sick patients inside. We have surgeries." Cristina says.

"Ok. ... Then you go first." Izzie says.

"Screw it." Cristina heads through the line and has food thrown at her which she attempts to fend off. "Yeah doing my job! Doing my job! Ha-ha!" She makes it into the hospital.

"They threw food at her!" Izzie says.

George nods. "That is just wrong!" Izzie says.

"Fine I'm going in!" Evi says. She grabs Fletcher and Izzie's hand pulling them along. The trio goes in and also has food thrown at them. She uses her bag to fend the fruit off. In the mass of nurses she walks past Olivia who screams at her. "Change your own bed pan, Jensen!"

"Yeah, enjoy your syphilis Olivia!" She yells back. She makes it to the front doors and squeals as one last one is thrown at her, but before it could hit her Fletcher blocks it.

Izzie yells out. "George, are you coming?"

"No, I'm good here." He says. He just stands at the end of the picket line watching.

If you choose to cross the line, you pretty much do so at your own risk.

•.•.•

Cristina, Alex, Izzie and Evi are waiting for their new resident. Cristina sees a doctor walk by. "Yes, yes that's him. He's been published twice and he's flawless."

"Oh, I don't want that guy. That guy's a freak. He doesn't let you speak in the OR." Izzie says.

"Yeah, but he's flawless." Cristina says.

Another doctor walks by. "I think it's him. What's his name again?" Evi asks.

"Oh yeah, mouth breather guy. But he'll let you do a procedure on your own if he likes you." Cristina says.

Meredith walks up to them. "What are we doing?"

"Trying to figure out who they're going to pick for Bailey's replacement." Alex says.